• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wiring issues..... again

1986chevycucvm1008

I have the manual glow plug switch and I drove my m1008 to my dads work and i forgot to turn my switch off and it was on for about an hour and a half. now when i touch the pink and black wire to my relay two relays inside the cab beside the starter relay clicks and some of my dash lights come on what cab be the cause of this and how do i fix it?

cucvrus

I have no idea how you have that thing rigged up. Can't help you out sorry. Why would you drive with the manual glow plug switch in the on position. I thought you would turn that off as soon as the engine started. That is why I like the OEM way. I can drive it and everyone else. No special training required. No Really I am sorry. If it were mine I would return to stock operational system and then the manuals and everyone can give you accurate answers. Sorry but right now it is a guessing game.

Westech

CPL
Well if the glow plugs were powered for that long be ready to pull heads off if the plugs dont come out.
I have a good feeling they are shot, swelled and exploded.
As for wiring like CUCV said.... cant help you.
Your better off spending the cash and putting the system back to factory.

Also as for installing a glow plug powering system with a non push button momentary switch is liking checking the fuel tank with a match....

cucvrus

Well I have always lucked out and pulled the inner fenders and went in and pulled the nozzles and been able to get the swelled plugs out with a curved jaw vise grip. Wellmans are famous for that issue. I never had an AC Delco that I could not remove with my puller. Still a lot of work I already removed the steering shaft on the left side to get one out. Good Luck and yes the original way the glow plugs were set up is still the best way. I just started my 31 year old diesel CUCV Mule M1009 this morning in 5 degree weather unassisted. It has nothing but glow plugs and good batteries. Cranked hard and sounded like it was going to fly apart when it did start. Woke the neighborhood. Time to load more wood in the beer boxes. Just an OCD thing that I have. Idle hands are the devils workshop. But from experience some people should let their hands remain in complete idle and be banned from tools and sharp objects.:) Just joking but I have been paid much money to repair others repairs. They keep coming so life is good. Keep cutting and changing. I like it. $$$$$$

MarcusOReallyus

what cab be the cause of this and how do i fix it?

Nobody can answer either of those questions for you without knowing how things are wired. Since it's non-standard, nobody knows.

Here's what you need to do:

1. Start using proper punctuation. It's hard to read and decipher what you are saying when it's one long rambling mess. The discipline of speaking and writing properly also helps you to think more clearly. We think with words. If we use words carelessly and sloppily, we can't possibly think any other way. Make the effort and you will reap many benefits, not the least of which is that other people will be better able to understand you and therefore better able help you.
  2. Trace what you have and diagram it. If we don't know how it's wired, all we can do is stab in the dark. That always wastes time, and usually wastes money.
  3. Get back to us with the results of your diagramming.
  4. Find out if you have the GP resistor still installed, or if someone has done the resistor bypass.
  5. Check your fusible links.
  6. See the Wiki and the "Useful threads" sticky for info about troubleshooting the GP system. There are a number of tests you need to do, and it's all laid out in the TM and the many posts you'll find there.
  7. Check your glow plugs. As mentioned, they are probably fried.
  8. Check your GP relay. It's not made for continuous duty. It may be fried, too.
  9. Get rid of that stupid ON-OFF switch and install a momentary switch.