• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiring issues ??

bansley

Thare is a wire harness large purple ,purple/white ,red and several black little wires cut off under the dash behind wher the radio would be. Is this where the starter relay would be ? the red is live and the purple goes to the starter and purple and white is live in start. Where would a guy locate this harness end and relay? none of my civ. trucks have this.

Thanks,Brian

Shop Rat Fab

Some guys do not like or trust the OEM starter relay as they have been know to stick and burn up the wiring and or starter. One guy I work with cut the connector off and installed a Ford starter relay so you may want to go that route. My 1009 had the original still mounted in place and another one plugged in hanging from the harness when I got it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

Shop Rat Fab

Its a standard automotive relay and there should actually be 2 of them there, I know one is for the secondary alternator but I am not sure what the other one is for. I have a tool box full of EEC power and ABS relays I get from Ford vehicles when I hit the salvage yards and they work fine. Sounds like you bought a project vehicle, make sure you have a fuse in all the locations in the fuse panel so you are not chasing your tail tracking down electrical concerns that are not really electrical concerns. When I got my 1009 it was rubbed of 4 fuses.

Last edited:

Crash_AF

The two relays are for Gen 2 and the Voltmeter, the other 24V systems in the truck. The relays isolate the 24V stuff from the 12V stuff.

Is the plug missing from your harness for the relay, or just the relay? The relay itself is a standard automotive Bosch relay. I just ask for an AC relay for a 1989 Jeep Cherokee at the parts store.

Later,
Joe

bansley

they are all missing it was a ''cani'' truck and somebody took them out with side cuts. if anybody has a wiring diagram of these relays that would be great.Thanks all for the help.
Thanks, Brian

Crash_AF

You should download the TMs for the truck from the 'Resources' tab at the top of the page. The TM number for the CUCV is 9-2320-289-##. The -20 is the intermediate maintenance manual and includes all of the wiring diagrams.

I have a butchered harness from one of my trucks, I'll see if those relay sockets are still there so you can splice them back in. A better bet might be to find someone parting out a CUCV and remove the entire dash harness and replace it if there are lots of parts missing. It's not that hard since the wiring is so simple on these trucks, I've done it twice myself to solve hacked plugs.

ETA- The dash wiring harness is the same for all trucks EXCEPT for the 1010 ambulance. The truck harness and Blazer harness are interchangeable.

The Gen 2 relay has 4 wires: Pink/Black, Black, Brown, Brown/Red
The Voltmeter relay has 4 wires: Pink/Black, Black, Black, White
The two Black wires in this are because the switch controls the ground of the voltmeter so both sides of the relay are grounded. The Pink/Black wires are the 12V trigger wires, hot when the ignition is on and are on the coil side of the relay. One black wire goes on the other terminal for the coil side of the relay. The other two wires go on the contact side of the relay.

If you want to get the truck working without the socket, you can crimp spade terminals to the wires, and then slide them on the terminals for the relay. They are numbered as follows (look on the bottom of the relay)
30, 85, 86, 87. There may be an 87a but not on all relays. 87a is a Normally Closed contact that opens when the relay is powered up.
http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm

For the Gen 2, hook the wires to the following terminals.
Pink/Black - 85
Black - 86
Brown - 30
Brown/Red - 87

For the Voltmeter, hook the wires up as follows:
Pink/Black - 85
Black - 86
Black - 30
White - 87

Later,
Joe

Last edited:

bansley

I bought this truck missing both alts. and regulators. It now has one alt and wired up for 12 volt. My question is do i need either relay now? truck is not runnig yet. still working on geting everything in order.
Thanks, brian

Crash_AF

Are you planning to restore it to 24V or are you converting to 12? If converting to 12, then no. Just hook the purple wire to the purple/white wire to get the starter to work. You won't need the Gen 2 feed so you can ignore that and you can hook a voltmeter the standard way without the relay. Tape off the pink/black wires as they will be hot with the ignition on, you could use one as the 12V feed to your replacement voltmeter.

Later,
Joe