• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiring question

Grahambrown

Howdy folks.. I'm the very proud owner of a 85 m1038 humvee. Fully restored almost nut for bolt. I saved up for a very very long time to get this truck and since I live in Canada...its not cheap lol.. I have a couple questions and honestly pls don't tease me or berate my lack of knowledge.. I'm trying my best.
Ok

So. One of the pics I uploaded.. When I first popped the hood... That connector was just not connected.. Truck always starts fine. I just plugged it in.. Nothing changed... I'm not writing this post because I have not done my research....for the life of me I can't figure out what that connector is for.. I also don't really understand why my truck was perfectly fine with that connector not connected and when I plugged it back in.. Nothing changed.. Second question.. If u see the other photo I uploaded.. 4 random wires with orange hoods... Not connected.. Just laying around.. I looked and looked and looked online.. My best guess is they are glowplug wires. I could and defiantly may be wrong. I'm not a mechanic but I'm trying to Learn.. Why are there 4 orange wires not connected to anything but the truck starts and drives fine? Why was there a connector clearly resting beside its intended connection and the truck was fine before I noticed it and plugged it back in??
Any help is so much appreciated.
Thx so much

Attachments

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
You guys in Canada on a different calendar ? We here in America are a little short of a month till April 1st.

Unless that is the new "CAMOTEKSYSTEMS.com" start system...

But I don't think so, CAMO

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first picture looks like the harness and connectors for glow plugs on one side of the engine, the second is for the temp sending unit for the EESS (protection control box)
see if all the glow plugs have wires to them, although in your picture that side seems to have them already.

Grahambrown

The first picture looks like the harness and connectors for glow plugs on one side of the engine, the second is for the temp sending unit for the EESS (protection control box)
see if all the glow plugs have wires to them, although in your picture that side seems to have them already.
Thank you so much for the response :)
Im assuming even though my truck started without The temp sending unit attached... It should be connected..
The whole glow plug wire thing is just confusing me.. I will definitely check that all the glow plug wires are connected.. Why would there be extras?
Can the truck start with only 4 glow plug wires connected hypothetically?
Thx so much for your response btw

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you so much for the response :)
Im assuming even though my truck started without The temp sending unit attached... It should be connected..
The whole glow plug wire thing is just confusing me.. I will definitely check that all the glow plug wires are connected.. Why would there be extras?
Can the truck start with only 4 glow plug wires connected hypothetically?
Thx so much for your response btw
The truck will start with 4 or less glow plugs, but have you asked the person you bought it from why it’s come in this condition. Also…while I know the truck is new, one would assume you did some research prior to purchase?

Grahambrown

The truck will start with 4 or less glow plugs, but have you asked the person you bought it from why it’s come in this condition. Also…while I know the truck is new, one would assume you did some research prior to purchase?
Ya I did as much research as I could. Maybe I'm just simple but alot of these trucks seem a bit cryptic when it comes to really getting the whole story. Best I can tell is that it was one of the 2006 rebuilds. Reason I think that is because when I yanked the air filter for a look it has black marker on it where someone scribed 2006...maybe I'm out to lunch. In any event I'm blown away at the condition. Every single fastener is new.. Windshield/seals/all that stuff etc is all new. Under the dash.. All the mechanicals are new. If you look under the truck it's clear that the whole powertrain is new. I did a major fluid change when I got it and my mechanic said that the portals/transfer /diff etc was all new fluid. Tbh if I never popped the hood than I wouldn't even be asking these questions that make me look silly. Truck starts and runs great. I just noticed the connection plug I mention not connected.. And I noticed those 4 wires just laying around.. It made me concerned hence the post

Action

His truck is a 1985. It may have had the seperate glow plug harness that was left behind when it got a newer box and engine garness ?

papakb

One of the problems with the HMMWV is that all of the changes and upgrades to them don't always make it into the manuals. Beyond that there are a raft of Maintenance Work Orders (MWOs) and TBs (Technical Bulletins) that you need to be aware of that contain relevant information supplemental to the standard TMs.

Regarding the unconnected glow plug connectors. Over the years there have been multiple designs for the main control box up under the drivers footwell. Depending on which model you have in your 1038 it may or may not need the Temp Sensor connected. The early boxes all needed the GPC connected but the newer EESS boxes don't all require the TS to be connected. I'm using the term "main control box" because I don't know which one you have in your truck. I'm worried about your disconnected glow plug connectors though. There was one version of the control box made by a company called LAU that had an additional harness just for the glow plugs. You can tell if you have one by the fact that there are 2 large connectors coming thru the deck above your feet. One was for the truck electrical system and the second only had 8 wires in it for the glow plugs. If this was installed in your truck then the unconnected wired in your harness may have been the original ones for the truck. If you have a LAU box in your truck you want to replace it immediately. They had a history of a) randomly cranking the trucks until the batteries died, b) running the starter with the engine running, or c) setting the trucks on fire.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have a KDS green label box you don’t need a glow plug sensor.

What PCB/EESS do you have?

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look under driver side dash and look for a box like shown...It may be green with a white label,
or black with a yellow or green label, or black with a silver label.

Attachments

Grahambrown

One of the problems with the HMMWV is that all of the changes and upgrades to them don't always make it into the manuals. Beyond that there are a raft of Maintenance Work Orders (MWOs) and TBs (Technical Bulletins) that you need to be aware of that contain relevant information supplemental to the standard TMs.

Regarding the unconnected glow plug connectors. Over the years there have been multiple designs for the main control box up under the drivers footwell. Depending on which model you have in your 1038 it may or may not need the Temp Sensor connected. The early boxes all needed the GPC connected but the newer EESS boxes don't all require the TS to be connected. I'm using the term "main control box" because I don't know which one you have in your truck. I'm worried about your disconnected glow plug connectors though. There was one version of the control box made by a company called LAU that had an additional harness just for the glow plugs. You can tell if you have one by the fact that there are 2 large connectors coming thru the deck above your feet. One was for the truck electrical system and the second only had 8 wires in it for the glow plugs. If this was installed in your truck then the unconnected wired in your harness may have been the original ones for the truck. If you have a LAU box in your truck you want to replace it immediately. They had a history of a) randomly cranking the trucks until the batteries died, b) running the starter with the engine running, or c) setting the trucks on fire.
Uh oh.. I just went out to the truck and looked under the driver's side dash and turns out I have the LAU box you referred too..
Well that sucks lol

Attachments

AAVP7

According to PS magazine, no. 590, January ´02, pages 2 and 3, there was a version of that infamous LAU box that did not fall under the mandatory exchange scheme.

http://psmag.radionerds.com/images/3/3d/PS_Magazine_Issue_590_January_2002.pdf

If the box was marked NSN 6110-01-446-7126, Version 14.0A, then according to PS magazine, it might be safe. I´m not entirely sure about the version on your box, since the picture is a bit blurred, but it looks like it might be a "14.0A".

However, this is all hearsay. I have no idea if there were newer messages concerning the LAU boxes, or if experience since 2002 showed that even that 14.0 version had a problem.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please consider getting rid of that box and upgrading the system

papakb

I purchased about a dozen of the LAU boxes before I found out why the government sent them to DRMO. I sent them back to LAU and they upgraded the software for free but by then they had such a bad reputation no one wanted them.

Without knowing which version of their box you have, do you want to take that chance? These trucks are to expensive to play Russian Roulette with!

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uh oh.. I just went out to the truck and looked under the driver's side dash and turns out I have the LAU box you referred too..
Well that sucks lol
kinda funny, but I was going to ask you yesterday what box you had, I had a truck from auction that had all the GP boots stowed and tie wrapped, initially I said “what?“ but quickly figured out it had a LAU box, I was surprised to see one on an auction truck being so late in the game. I’ve had several trucks that had previously had them installed but since removed, as evidenced by the extra round hole for the GP harness.
I would get rid of that for an S3 EESS setup ASAP.

Grahambrown

According to PS magazine, no. 590, January ´02, pages 2 and 3, there was a version of that infamous LAU box that did not fall under the mandatory exchange scheme.

http://psmag.radionerds.com/images/3/3d/PS_Magazine_Issue_590_January_2002.pdf

If the box was marked NSN 6110-01-446-7126, Version 14.0A, then according to PS magazine, it might be safe. I´m not entirely sure about the version on your box, since the picture is a bit blurred, but it looks like it might be a "14.0A".

However, this is all hearsay. I have no idea if there were newer messages concerning the LAU boxes, or if experience since 2002 showed that even that 14.0 version had a problem.
Thank you so much thats what I have!
I'll still replace it however. Just to be safe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks