• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiring up an MEP-831A for field power use

g2reeves

All, I'd like a little advice on wiring up my MEP-831A (the one that works, anyway, still no progress on getting the other one to power up) for field use using 20A/120V receptacles- i.e., which wire goes to which terminal, etc. I'm planning to surface mount the receptacles in outdoor-rated boxes on either side of the output terminal box. I'm assuming using typical house-wiring logic that white wires go to neutral, black wire for receptacle 1 go to L1 and black wire for receptacle 2 to L2, and ground goes, somewhat obviously, to ground, and then to a grounding stake. If this is not correct, please let me know why. I'd prefer not to fry myself or the genset. ;)
gnerator.jpg
Also, I am aware that I'll need to switch the inverter voltage selector to 120v.

Thanks to any who reply!

-G2

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is something I built for 802. This could be scaled down. I would not recomend hooking in individual circuits directly to lugs. Better to run in 240vac with two 15 amp breakers feeding single plug from each circuit. Feed mini distribution with a 4wire #8

IMG_2990.jpgIMG_2994.jpgIMG_2991.jpgIMG_2998.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
All, I'd like a little advice on wiring up my MEP-831A (the one that works, anyway, still no progress on getting the other one to power up) for field use using 20A/120V receptacles- i.e., which wire goes to which terminal, etc. I'm planning to surface mount the receptacles in outdoor-rated boxes on either side of the output terminal box. I'm assuming using typical house-wiring logic that white wires go to neutral, black wire for receptacle 1 go to L1 and black wire for receptacle 2 to L2, and ground goes, somewhat obviously, to ground, and then to a grounding stake. If this is not correct, please let me know why. I'd prefer not to fry myself or the genset. ;)
View attachment 673185
Also, I am aware that I'll need to switch the inverter voltage selector to 120v.

Thanks to any who reply!

-G2
Sounds right to me!

g2reeves

Here is something I built for 802. This could be scaled down. I would not recomend hooking in individual circuits directly to lugs. Better to run in 240vac with two 15 amp breakers feeding single plug from each circuit. Feed mini distribution with a 4wire #8

View attachment 673197View attachment 673198View attachment 673199View attachment 673200
Thank you. I found a similar box available commercially, which might get me up and running sooner, since I don't have a ton of time to tinker with it right now. I completely biffed on including a circuit breaker, since I had originally intended to wire it up to the house and run it through a transfer switch to the house CB box. What are your thoughts on push-type breakers? Most of the ones I deal with are aircraft use, 28v, and I haven't done a lot of looking for a 120v push type.

Guyfang

Staff member
Here in Europe, we use ABB, for simply the best. I am sure there will be a thousand people give a thousand different brands. But ABB has never let me down.

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's more the out put of generator is 31amps @120vac and had two 12-3 to 20 amp receptacles and had fault your wiring could burn up before circuit protection of gen set could trip. ABB is good brand. I have thought about din rail mounted circuit breakers off fleabay.

Guyfang

Staff member
That's what I love about ABB rail system. For us, a row of 12 CB's is the norm. Clip them on, inset the three phase bridge underneath them. Insert your three wires. It's done. You can of course have a row of up to 40, or more. Just have to get the long three phase bridge and cut it to length. But the simplicity is great. There are other companies, but with ABB, it always works. It always fits. There is always some widget you can get to make what ever changes you want.