• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wisconsin To Massachussetts

blizzardwarrior7

Ive finally decided to go ahead and buy the gmc m215 from alfa heaven, and plan on flying out tommorow to pick it up, it should be ok to drive back, but it is a long drive for any vehicle, much less one that is 60 years old. Anyway that lives near this route that would be able to lend a hand if something goes wrong while driving it back? The trip would be from Aniwa, WI to Northampton, MA, avoiding highways if you google map it. Thanks for any help, phone numbers would be appreciated! This is my first MV, so hoping that there wont be any problems !

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally, I would recommend driving a GMC before you commit to that big of a purchase.

Westech

CPL
When I do long road trips I TRY to use the interstates and main high ways. Lots of room to pull over.. trucks stops.. cops and tow trucks around to help if needed.

undysworld

BW7,
I've seen that truck, and it's very nice. By the time Alfa gets done with them, they're usually in great shape. Tom's a great guy to buy from too, from all accounts I've heard. I'm near Madison, so you'll just be getting going. But if you're stuck somewhere near here, I've got the time and I could help as needed. I'll pm you my phone number. Best of luck with your new truck.
Paul

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
All this was discussed in his other thread, it is a shiny red truck

blizzardwarrior7,
Good luck with your trip. I know Tom (alfa) sold a couple from Alaska an "M" series GMC. They drove it home, without any problems. In fact, I understand they really enjoyed the trip.
Tom should have my number, I am in the Milwaukee area.
Drive safe & keep us updated.

blizzardwarrior7

Well I've made it to Chicago, we are departing for somewhere around Toledo in a few hours. Truck has run well so far, steering has been a big pain especially in parking lots and gas stations. The truck is mint except for a pesky exhaust leak where the exhaust meets the manifold. Looks great and does 55-58 of flats easily.

blizzardwarrior7

Well, made it back to MA! We pulled into Hoosick Falls New York around 9 am yesterday morning. Stopped at the wifes grandparents house, just a few miles from the house, the water pump went out, and caused the fan to loosen which in turn hit the radiator causing it to leak. Pretty minor fix, as Tom from alfa has already agreed to sending me a new water pump at no charge. The trip overall took just over 35 hours. It took me about 7 hours to get from Aniwa, WI to Chicago, IL. About 7 1/2 hours from Chicago to Norwalk, OH. 7 1/2 hours from Norwalk, to Buffalo, NY. And about 15 hours from Buffalo to Hoosick Falls, NY. I drove the last 22 hours straight, only stopping for fuel every 6 hours. I dont ever plan on riding in a deuce for this long ever again, or really adivise it to anyone else thinking about doing it. I stuffed cottonballs in my ears after the first 15 hours or so. And my rear end went pretty much numb after anything more than about 5 hours straight. By the end of the 22 hour stretch my back was incredibly stiff, my butt was completely numb, and my right knee hurt quite a bit. Also had cramps in my calf, and wore my heel raw from all the vibration coming through the floor. And Im 21 years old and in good shape ;). I plan on beginning work on the truck in the next week or so, so keep your eyes open for my threads in the Deuce sub-forum.