• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wisconsin to MD recovery Contacts needed

stumps

Hi Gang!

Well my turn has finally come! My EUC is clear, and I think all of my ducks are in a row. It's time to recover my deuce!

I will be traveling from Ft McCoy to Rhinelander Wisconsin, where I will lay over as I check to see how the deuce faired on its first outing. Then if all is well, I will be traveling from Rhinelander to Maryland.

The first part of my trip will begin on Tuesday the 20th, and will be mostly north on US 51, and continues on Hw 8.

The long part of my trip will probably begin on Wednesday, or Thursday, and will go something like this: US51 -> I-39S -> I-90E -> I-80E -> I-76E -> I-70E. I will be passing through Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Maryland.

If all goes well, I expect the final leg of the trip to take 3 days.

If any of you guys would be available to save my sorry self should there be problems, I would sure appreciate it if you could PM me your phone number.

Thanks! I'll post the pictures when I get back

-Chuck

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck with your trip...I wish I would be home to offer assistance, I'll be along your route somewhere, but I'm leaving Tuesday to head the the GA rally.

Check your transmission level before you take off....I know from experience!!!

skinnedknuckles

I would be able to help out if need be. I am just off I-90 between Janesville and Beloit, Wi. I'll pm my info to you. Just remembert to check ALL your fluids, differentials, transmission, transfer case, engine ( too high=clutch will slip), brake master cylinder (I had to add silicone brake fluid on my 2 recoveries from Fort McCoy), anti- freeze, etc. And don't forget to say Hi to Mike ,at McCoy, from the guy with the noisy blue Dodge diesel in Janesville. Good luck:grin:
Paul from Janesville, Wi.
1945 CJ 2a
1946 Bantam BTC3
1955 CJ-5
1961 m37 B1
1968 m105a2
1971 m35a2 wo/w 6x6
1971 m35a2 w/w 4x4
1995 Cummins powered oil burnin' Dodge

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I have to ask, being from MD why did you not buy one closer? The McCoy ones usually go way higher than say Redstone which is probably only 10-12 hours from you. Also what if you can't drive it, then what's the plan?

roscoe

I'm North of Fort Wayne IN, if you pass by and need anything, just let me know. I don't have a towbar, but I have 3 trucks that run well if you need a tow. Also have plenty of room to park. Beware of I-80. I got a ticket for no registration bringing one back from McCoy and was told to park the truck, till I got the paperwork, or have it towed. You ought to consider taking hwy 30 through IN as its a pretty good road for a 55 mph truck. It will also be a little better if you have any problems as there are plenty of pull-offs and stores along the way. Hwy 30 is a pretty straight shot once you get out of IL. Good Luck.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greg, thanks for the vote of confidence!!

Sadly, about the only help I can provide is phone support, as I'm leaving on Tuesday the 20th with gimp to head for the GA Rally.

Stumps, I can tell you this much though...I would suggest you AVOID Chicago at all costs in the deuce. It would be much better on you, your nerves, your truck, and your wallet if you take the extra hour or so and go south of Chicago. Go straight down 39 out of Wisconsin through Illinois to Bloomington, and then 74 east to Indy where you can pick up 70 east the whole way to where ever you are crossing into Maryland. If you've never been there before, Chicago is a PITA!!! About every 5 miles from the Illinois line to Chicago heading south there is a toll booth! And no matter when you go through Chicago, DAY OR NIGHT, WEEKDAY OR WEEKEND, the traffic is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!! Since you'll still be driving a relatively unknown truck, without a thurough inspection, and cleaning/bleeding of the brakes, you couldn't pay me enough to drive a deuce through Chicago!!!!!!!! On my way up to McCoy, it was a Sunday afternoon...normally you would think traffic would be light...WRONG! It took us over 2 hours just to get through Chicago, 5 to 10 MPH the whole way bumper to bumper. I WILL NEVER ALLOW THE SKYS OF CHICAGO TO DARKEN MY HORIZONS EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even then....LOL

There have only been two places in this country I've sworn to myself I would never see again, the other one was Philadelphia, PA...and I'm a PA boy!!!

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:oops:

Thanks man, maybe after I get back to work and scratch up some cash, I'll buy something else from up there just so I can come up and check out your motor pool!!!!!!

:oops:

Thanks man, maybe after I get back to work and scratch up some cash, I'll buy something else from up there just so I can come up and check out your motor pool!!!!!!
Pack up the family and head on over, I can always use another good electrician. And then you could get ALL OF THE GOODIES FROM McCoy.
Sorry if our banter has hyjacked Stumps thread, but we will be trying to help you out anyway we can Stumps.

stumps

So I have to ask, being from MD why did you not buy one closer? The McCoy ones usually go way higher than say Redstone which is probably only 10-12 hours from you. Also what if you can't drive it, then what's the plan?
Hi,

Well, Wisconsin trucks all have heaters.... but mostly, I have a tree farm in Rhinelander, that I need to look in on anyway, and I need to bring some stuff back to Maryland that I can't fit in my car, So, I thought I would kill two birds with one stone.

Also, the prices on W/W deuces seems to be within a few hundred bucks no matter where they are these days, and I really wanted a winch.

The whole thing seemed to make a lot more sense back in August when I hatched the plan, and won the deuce... but here it is October, and Rhinelander has already had its first snow... Which makes my plan seem bordering on lunacy.

Oh well!

-Chuck

stumps

The last time I was there, Ft. McCoy was near Tomah. Why are you heading northeast roughly 200 miles to Rhinlander to end up going south? I gotta be missing something.
Two reasons, first I need to stop in at my tree farm in Rhinelander, and second, it is a good place to beach a deuce if it doesn't want to make the trip.

-Chuck

stumps

I'm North of Fort Wayne IN, if you pass by and need anything, just let me know. I don't have a towbar, but I have 3 trucks that run well if you need a tow. Also have plenty of room to park. Beware of I-80. I got a ticket for no registration bringing one back from McCoy and was told to park the truck, till I got the paperwork, or have it towed. You ought to consider taking hwy 30 through IN as its a pretty good road for a 55 mph truck. It will also be a little better if you have any problems as there are plenty of pull-offs and stores along the way. Hwy 30 is a pretty straight shot once you get out of IL. Good Luck.
Thanks for the info Roscoe! I'll plot out the route that way and see how it looks. I have a temporary tag/registration to travel on, so I should be ok.... I hope.

-Chuck

stumps

Greg, thanks for the vote of confidence!!

Sadly, about the only help I can provide is phone support, as I'm leaving on Tuesday the 20th with gimp to head for the GA Rally.

Stumps, I can tell you this much though...I would suggest you AVOID Chicago at all costs in the deuce. It would be much better on you, your nerves, your truck,
Hi Speddmon,

Adjustments to my trip noted.

Thanks!

-Chuck

stumps

...Also what if you can't drive it, then what's the plan?
If it is really bad, I will take the cheap route, and refuse it or default, depending on what is wrong, and how recently it got that way. If it is only sort a bad, I will drive/tow it to my farm in Rhinelander, and leave it there until the summer when I can fix it.

I intend to give it a thorough going over at my farm in Rhinelander. If I have any doubts about its ability to make the trip home, it will be beached there until the summer when I can work on it.

-Chuck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks