• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WMO in a CUCV

I recently found a source for free used WMO, light hydraulic oil, etc for free. I can do all the research on how to get it ready for use, but I'm looking for people who have done this in a CUCV with the 6.2l.

I tried searching this forum, but didn't find much. Any suggestions on where to look? Anyone have experience doing this?

ca1517

Have run a 50% WMO in a 1009 with no problems. I would suggest a good filtering system. You can get a lot of crud in these blends, fuel filter replacement will become second nature.aua

ABN173

Last edited:

ABN173

(Quoted from STUMPS)

"The multifuel engine is a very interesting contraption. It was originally designed by the famous diesel engine company MAN as the MAN Hypercycle Engine, also known as the Whisper Diesel. MAN engineers were attempting to design a compression-ignition (C-I) engine that burned the fuel slowly, and didn't need massive engine parts to withstand the instantaneous ignition found in a conventional C-I engine.

In a conventional C-I engine, the fuel is atomized into a combustion chamber filled with superheated air, and ignites instantly. This results in the very loud "knocking" sound that is characteristic of most C-I diesel engines. Because the entire fuel charge ignites instantly, there are tremendous forces placed on the pistons, rods, bearings, heads, etc.. The usual engineering answer to the need to withstand such forces is to add lots of mass to the parts. That is why conventional diesels run so slowly, and are so big and heavy.

In the MAN cycle engine, the engineers took a different approach. They formed a chamber in the top of the piston that looks much like someone stuck their thumb into a clay piston. When the piston reaches top-dead-center (TDC), the piston's chamber, and the cylinder head, form a closed combustion chamber, with the injector nozzle poking into the top from one side.

The injector nozzle on a MAN Hypercycle engine is different from that used in the usual C-I engine. The nozzle has relatively large holes in it that pass the fuel as a stream, rather than a mist. This stream of fuel doesn't ignite instantly, but rather passes through the super heated air, and sprays onto the walls and bottom of the piston's combustion chamber. The fuel puddled in the bottom of the combustion chamber boils and vaporizes. When the vapors reach the super heated air, they ignite and burn in a relatively slow controlled fashion. The piston's small combustion chamber also keeps liquid fuel away from the cylinder walls, and out of the crankcase.

The LDx-465 engines all have a Fuel Density Compensator (FDC), but that is not what makes a Multi-Fuel engine multi fuel. Hydrocarbon fuels contain differing amounts of energy depending on their chemical characteristics. As a general rule, thinner fuels, such as gasoline, have fewer calories per pound than do thicker fuels such as diesel oil, and waste motor oil. The FDC increases the amount of fuel pumped into the cylinders for thin fuels, and reduces the amount of fuel pumped into the cylinders for thick fuels. It does this by moving the pedal stop, and thus reducing, or increasing how far you can push the pedal based on the thickness of the fuel. A MF engine without the FDC is still multi-fuel, only it will produce less horsepower on gasoline than it will on diesel fuel... much less.... or in terms of smoke, if it is set to smoke on gasoline, it will smoke chunks on diesel, and if it is set to smoke on diesel, it won't be able to get out of its own way when burning gasoline...

-Chuck"

I recommend you look here first:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/alternative-fuels/51945-what-makes-engine-multifuel-wmo-cucv.html

That thread is pretty useless, honestly. A bunch of guys who think he's asking about a deuce, when he's asking about a CUCV. The writeup about how multifuels work is pretty cool, but totally inapplicable to a 6.2l Detroit Diesel, unless I missed something.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/35618-wmo-used-motor-oil-6-2-m1009.html

That one is pretty good. I don't know why I didn't think to search the CUCV forum. :oops: Guess not a lot of people are doing this, though. My buddy has a 55gal drum of used light hyd. oil ready for me to pickup. I guess I better start figuring this out. LOL!

Thanks!

akonitony

(Quoted from STUMPS)

"The multifuel engine is a very interesting contraption. It was originally designed by the famous diesel engine company MAN as the MAN Hypercycle Engine, also known as the Whisper Diesel. MAN engineers were attempting to design a compression-ignition (C-I) engine that burned the fuel slowly, and didn't need massive engine parts to withstand the instantaneous ignition found in a conventional C-I engine.

In a conventional C-I engine, the fuel is atomized into a combustion chamber filled with superheated air, and ignites instantly. This results in the very loud "knocking" sound that is characteristic of most C-I diesel engines. Because the entire fuel charge ignites instantly, there are tremendous forces placed on the pistons, rods, bearings, heads, etc.. The usual engineering answer to the need to withstand such forces is to add lots of mass to the parts. That is why conventional diesels run so slowly, and are so big and heavy.

In the MAN cycle engine, the engineers took a different approach. They formed a chamber in the top of the piston that looks much like someone stuck their thumb into a clay piston. When the piston reaches top-dead-center (TDC), the piston's chamber, and the cylinder head, form a closed combustion chamber, with the injector nozzle poking into the top from one side.

The injector nozzle on a MAN Hypercycle engine is different from that used in the usual C-I engine. The nozzle has relatively large holes in it that pass the fuel as a stream, rather than a mist. This stream of fuel doesn't ignite instantly, but rather passes through the super heated air, and sprays onto the walls and bottom of the piston's combustion chamber. The fuel puddled in the bottom of the combustion chamber boils and vaporizes. When the vapors reach the super heated air, they ignite and burn in a relatively slow controlled fashion. The piston's small combustion chamber also keeps liquid fuel away from the cylinder walls, and out of the crankcase.

The LDx-465 engines all have a Fuel Density Compensator (FDC), but that is not what makes a Multi-Fuel engine multi fuel. Hydrocarbon fuels contain differing amounts of energy depending on their chemical characteristics. As a general rule, thinner fuels, such as gasoline, have fewer calories per pound than do thicker fuels such as diesel oil, and waste motor oil. The FDC increases the amount of fuel pumped into the cylinders for thin fuels, and reduces the amount of fuel pumped into the cylinders for thick fuels. It does this by moving the pedal stop, and thus reducing, or increasing how far you can push the pedal based on the thickness of the fuel. A MF engine without the FDC is still multi-fuel, only it will produce less horsepower on gasoline than it will on diesel fuel... much less.... or in terms of smoke, if it is set to smoke on gasoline, it will smoke chunks on diesel, and if it is set to smoke on diesel, it won't be able to get out of its own way when burning gasoline...

-Chuck"
Very interesting info to say the least. I wonder if my great-great Uncle was in on the design of the multi-fuel. Here is his bio: Roscoe Fletcher Good, Admiral, United States Navy

woodywood

Private
i have a 7.3 non turbo that i have run straight filtered umo and ran just like diesel hard to start when cold is the only bad thing i seen.when i say cold less than 65 outside

I made a batch of 70% wvo 20% wmo and 10% rug ... It ran good(Ihave a fuel heater) but had hard start. so I ran it down to a half tank and filled it it up with Diesel bc it is really cold 20-36 lately 12-6-10 Im starting my M1009 with a blast of either. i hope I havent created an either baby, but One squirt in the breather hole and it fires right up. As cold as it is I think im going to run my tank down and fill her up with streight diesel till it warms up.

akonitony

Try some Rosanol lighter fluid. It is wetter than ether, and won't hurt your 6.2 in small amounts. You can also try a shot of WD40. BTW, the correct spelling is ether for (C2H5)2O diethyl compound of which you speak. Either is a word used describe one or the other, among other things...

Alredneck

Banned
Um the multifuel topic is a general waste of thread space. Noone was implying the 6.2 was a multi. Never the less it will burn umo,as just about all compression ignition engines will. The old 2 strokes love the stuff, the indirect engines run ok on them at 100% ( keep in mind about what Woodywood said ) and it can be done on direct injection engines as well. ( Though rail pressures may not be the same due to different viscosity of fluids, may trip computer sensors ) I do know 24V cummins that have done it but not at 100% UMO same with 7.3 powerstrokes. Not sure about Duramax but believe all the same would apply. FIltering the WMO is the key in being able to do this effectively! UMO and WMO is the same!

I have the drum sitting at my house. Haven't put any in yet. I had to get the emissions test done and didn't know how WMO would do, so I waited. Then we had to run up north this weekend to cut our Christmas tree and I didn't want to risk problems with my entire family in tow. Probably going to work on it this week. I have a Lincoln air powered transfer pump to get it in the truck, need to pick up a filter for the drum so I'm not pumping any crap into the tank. I'm going to start off at 50/50 diesel/oil ratio and see how it runs. I'm in Phoenix, so cold here is a couple days at 35f.

I'll update when I start running it. As an aside, I threw in a couple quarts of fresh ATF I had laying around. Seemed like the motor ran a little quieter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks