• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WMO recovery, How do you...

jj

Uh, i may have missed something, but, if the tank full of the waste oil is already 8 to 10 feet off the ground, why do you need a pump at all? Just connect the transfer hose to the bottom outlet of the storage tank, hang the other end in the tote tank on the back of the truck and open the valve. Let gravity do the work and save the cost of the pump and the maintenance of the pump.

scooter01922

Ok guys, i have a side question to add to this thread. Looks like as good a thread as any to pirate :twisted: What about transfering WMO that you know has gas mixed with it?? Just how worried would you be about the boom factor?? I have a bunch of old gas mixed prob 50/50 with WMO and old diesel that i gotta filter somehow but i'm a bit wary due to the increased flammability. I would like to ideally have one pump for transfer and filter feeding duty.

Deuce_of_Spades

So, a few months have gone by now and I was wondering if anyone else has suggestions on how to move large volumes of WMO. Say 500 gals. I got the suggestion of a Harbor Freight Trash/water pump pictured a page back. Anyone have hands on experience with it and WMO? Any other suggestions under say $300 dollars? I have a small Fill-rite pump but its only good for about 50 gallons or so. Pics would be great too!

Deuce_of_Spades

How about this:

http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/oilcollectiontank/

Its a watertank with a vacuum pump attached to it. Put tank on a trailer or in truck, add vacuum then turn off pump, drive to WMO, put hose in oil, open tank, vacuum sucks oil into tank. Easy and quiet so as not to disturb the donor.

Thanks! That looks very promising! Any idea where I can get a few of those tanks used? I'm going to have to look into this!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
HAve either of you tried this method? I find it hard to believe this will work with wmo. I use a piston type pneumatic barrel pump to transfer my wmo and don't get that kind of transfer speeds. I am using a 3/8 line instead of a 1" line, and I have 3 filters in line. The reason for such a small line is, thats the size od the fittings on the filter base. The pump itself has a 3/4 output and if I used 3/4" line, I'm sure it would speed things up but I want my wmo filtered.

uoa

I don't know specifics but I don't think you are looking at that much pressure. Those pressure vessels in the design in the first link (in my previous post and the first link of this post) are also designed for outward pressure (and much less than a propane tank). Just as very little pressure can do alot of work (such as the split rim warning on this forum), very little vacuum can also do alot of work. I have been looking for the original link that I saw a year ago or so that was a much better how-to, can't find it but he used a propane tank. His vacuum was a 12volt pump that hooked to the acc. wire of his trailer plug. He just flipped a switch right before he left and let it build vacuum as he was driving then shut it off when he got there. He had an explanation that the pump couldn't build enough pressure to hurt the tank or itself. It might be worth it to search around the bio-diesel communities to find that how-to... it was very good! You could probably build something with several small tanks in the bed of the deuce, rigged up with one pump. That way you could unload the empty tanks by hand when you need the bed. (Or just use a trailer)

Here are a few more links:

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/voconversionbasics/vpost?id=2101601

Halfway down this page:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/766002-wvo-collection-pumps.html

Last edited:

uoa

HAve either of you tried this method? I find it hard to believe this will work with wmo. I use a piston type pneumatic barrel pump to transfer my wmo and don't get that kind of transfer speeds. I am using a 3/8 line instead of a 1" line, and I have 3 filters in line. The reason for such a small line is, thats the size od the fittings on the filter base. The pump itself has a 3/4 output and if I used 3/4" line, I'm sure it would speed things up but I want my wmo filtered.
Im not sure how this would work with a filter inline, would probably slow it down. This is designed for veggie oil which tends to clot as it sits. Since motor oil doesn't have this problem, It should work...

It would probably be best to filter it at home when you can just turn on a low volume pump and go inside and wait.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You don't want to leave a pump, pumping wmo through a filter unattended or you will have a big mess! Once the filters get clogged(full) pressure skyrockets! I have seen 160 psi on my system. I doubt you would see that with your system, but why come back 2 hrs later only to find 20 gal have been filtered and you burned up your pump. I like my system because it isn't TOO slow and I can keep an eye on the pressures. I also like to monitor how full the 275gal tank is. This is just a couple points I have learned along the way and hope it will benefit you some how. The pressure gauges at each filter lets me know when to swap them out. They are only rated to 80-100psi.

yeager1

FYI- I use VERY strong vacuum pumps at work that generate a near perfect vacuum (practically speaking, not scientifically speaking where "perfect" in unobtainable). I mounted them on 30 gallon air compressor tank/carts and have no pressure issues, so a propane tank should work fine. As far as will it move the liquid? YES, I can get liquid plastic resin thicker then cold syrup to move fast. Personally though, I would rather use a pump so I can transfer it into anything, not just a pressure vessel.

Deuce_of_Spades

Yeager1- Cant you just blow it out into a holding tank when you get back from your recovery? Hook up your compressor and blow? I have 275 gal. tote tanks waiting in the shop. No pumps, electricity, loud motor out on the recovery sight? Sounds pretty good to me. Especially if you can find an old free pressure tank with a busted bladder or an old propane tank or compressor tank. A couple recycled fridge compressors and your set. I think UOA in on to something.

yeager1

Yeager1- Cant you just blow it out into a holding tank when you get back from your recovery? Hook up your compressor and blow?
Yes you can. Actually, it's even easier then that, most vacuum pumps have both threaded import and outport fittings and are designed to develop a vacuum on one side and to build pressure on the other (but low pressure- like 35 psi, which it plenty to blow down a vessel), so with a couple of valves, you can suck it in, throw a lever or two and blow it out with the same pump. They are great systems; don't get me wrong, they are quick and quite and will pull almost any liquid, I personally just don't want to have another tank to load in and out.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This isn't cheap but it would work really nice
LiquiDynamics Filter Cart — 7 GPM, 10-Micron, Model# 33275 | Filters | Northern Tool + Equipment

I am thinking to add a 1 micron filter on the output side. Then when I collect the oil I could just pump it into clean tanks and it is ready to go, no fooling around. Seems like it would pay off pretty quick.

To make it really easy I could bring clean drums with the diesel or gas to cut it with, already in there. When the drum is full it is ready to burn.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have 2 diaphragm pumps. One has 3/8" ports and the other is a 1" pump. These pumps move volatile liquids safely using your deuce air pressure. They will push or pull fluids. If dead headed the pump will stop. i recovered 175 gallons of fuel oil that was in an underground tank, in less than 20 minutes. The 1" pump would have done it in 5 minutes but I did not want the flow rate that high since I did not want to pull out the bottom sludge layer with the good oil. I am going to use this same system this summer to pull water from a lake to water may garden, should we have another dry summer. I have an unlimited supply of used 275 gallon totes and will fill 2 as needed to keep the garden moist in the hot months without tapping my well. The air driven drum pumps work great as well and are very safe when moving WMO and gas mixtures. My 2 cents.

Deuce_of_Spades

Tankers Dad,

Thanks! I just got a slightly used Graco 307 Diaphragm pump for $30 bucks off Craigs List. It is 3/8 inch with a max of 7 gals a min. It even came with a large L bracket bolted on to it so I can just attach it straight to my Deuce. Haven't gotten to play with it yet but am excited. The flow rait can be turned down a lot from 7 gpm so I might see how it works pumping through my filter system also. Question is, should I pump it through or suck it through?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks