• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won 2 more from Ft Meade. Very odd event...

Ratch

I won 2 M101's today from Ft Meade. I was very casual about it and expected to be outbid, but I wasn't.
I won 2 M116A3's last week, too.
I'm going to have to sell a few of these just to pay the credit card bill... I need to delete that credit card on file with GL, it's digging me into a hole...

But I can't figure this out.

There must have been over a dozen M101a2's in pretty good shape in this event. Most of them went for under $250, some even under $200 with canvas.
Then a couple A3's, some without canvas/racks/bows went for several hundred. One without c/r/b's went for over $700. I've seen other auctions where the a2's and a3's aren't that far apart in price, with the a3's always being a little more.

What did I miss? These a2's all dipped in pig's blood or something?

Did anyone see these? Anyone have an idea what was special about that $700 a3, or why the a2's went for so little?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just depends on how many people really want that one particular trailer. I place the maximum bid I want on something and then ignore it (most of the time) until the sale is over. If someone wanted that one they'd keep bidding until they either gave up or passed what I bid. There might be 20 other trailers but 2 people might wind up staying on the same one they started bidding on.

Nonotagain

But I can't figure this out.

There must have been over a dozen M101a2's in pretty good shape in this event. Most of them went for under $250, some even under $200 with canvas.
Then a couple A3's, some without canvas/racks/bows went for several hundred. One without c/r/b's went for over $700. I've seen other auctions where the a2's and a3's aren't that far apart in price, with the a3's always being a little more.

Did anyone see these? Anyone have an idea what was special about that $700 a3, or why the a2's went for so little?
I didn't see the auction closing prices for today, but in the last three weeks Ft Meade has auctioned off about 100 A2/A3 trailers. Unless someone has deep pockets to purchase and then sit on 40 or so trailers until prices come back up, the market is flooded.

I purchased a couple of really nice A3's a couple of weeks back, so unless the trailer was like new I would not have had an interest in purchase.

Chances are that the $700 A3 had like new tires, fiberglass racks and a like new tarp, but I could be wrong.

BTW, the week following my trailer purchase, A3's in the Mid-West sold for an average price of $850.

I bought an A2 for the Fiberglass racks today with one bid, only Because I sold another one today. I hope the front rack is fiberglass as it was covered by the tarp. Gamblin' man I am!

Which 2 did you win?

Last edited:
Ratch,

People focus on one and one only and then get into bidding wars over "THEIR" trailer. I'm reviewing the list right now and can't believe what some trailer went for over better looking trailers. Maybe they viewed all of them and it's the best, but i don't think so. But maybe there is gold or something in the bed we can't see in the pictures.

I laugh all the time on ebay watching people bid up an item i want and i buy it for 1/4 what they paid.

Last edited:

Bighurt

With rising fuel prices people might spend more closer to home , rather than a long recovery .
That's what kept me from bidding on the 101's at Meade and Barstow. A lot went for under 200. I hope the ones closer have the same trend.

To the OP, pm me what you want and how far your willing to drive...maybe I can help.

Ratch

Ratch,

People focus on one and one only and then get into bidding wars over "THEIR" trailer. I'm reviewing the list right now and can't believe what some trailer went for over better looking trailers. Maybe they viewed all of them and it's the best, but i don't think so. But maybe there is gold or something in the bed we can't see in the pictures.

I laugh all the time on ebay watching people bid up an item i want and i buy it for 1/4 what they paid.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I saw that one bare A3 get bid up to $500, then $700, when there were identical looking units going for $200, then $400. I kept going through the pics wondering what I wasn't seeing, but I guess it was just a bidding war.

I have my lot numbers on a different computer, I'll send you links at some point. They were both solid colored canvas's, one OD, the other DT. The boxes were Olive Drab.

BTW, I almost bid on that one you got, I had it open and ended up going for ones with the full canvas that were bidding a couple bucks higher. If you don't want your canvas, let me know, I might be interested.
We're allowed to talk about closed auctions, right?

NoNotAgain, flooded market would explain a lot, too. That one A3 had nothing, though, very odd IMO.

Ratch

Hey Ratch, Its a addiction. I stopped looking at the auctions so that I dont buy anything else. My trailer is available if needed.
It sure is, I don't know what comes over me when I start bidding... I really have to stop looking, too.

Thanks for the offer... I have to get 2 M101's and 2 M116's, so I might need to rent a 25' this time. I have to look at all the measurements and see how I can creatively stack them without trashing anything.
I was going to see if you wanted to take a ride down there when I figure it out, though.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I saw that one bare A3 get bid up to $500, then $700, when there were identical looking units going for $200, then $400. I kept going through the pics wondering what I wasn't seeing, but I guess it was just a bidding war.

I have my lot numbers on a different computer, I'll send you links at some point. They were both solid colored canvas's, one OD, the other DT. The boxes were Olive Drab.

BTW, I almost bid on that one you got, I had it open and ended up going for ones with the full canvas that were bidding a couple bucks higher. If you don't want your canvas, let me know, I might be interested.
We're allowed to talk about closed auctions, right?

NoNotAgain, flooded market would explain a lot, too. That one A3 had nothing, though, very odd IMO.

well, there we quite a few that had the tarp covering just the front racks. It looks like they cut the rope ties to get the tarp off. On was cut on my last one.

That A3 looked like it was just painted. Might be in pristine condition, hard to tell.

Last week did you get just the frames for the 116s?

DesertRunner

I was watching / bidding on 7 different A3's. My criteria was as follows, all A3 trailers, with 116A3 frames 1 ton rated with 101A3 3/4 ton bed, bows, side rails and canvas.

I watched as bids went to $300, then on the last day every trailer I was looking at went to 450 to 600.

I'll keep watching, maybe during June or July when people are too busy to notice, I'll manage to sneak one in.....
Jay