• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won Another M1101

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My last one had to be sold because I didn't have any place to put it, but now that we've bought a house I was on the lookout for another. Won one yesterday and will pick up soon.

The last time the trailer pintle bound up and twisted the riser plate I had in my jeep receiver. I think the pintle I bought was too small for the lunette ring on the M1101.

Q1: What size pintle hook do I need?

Also, last time I won a trailer I had to fill out the EUC (several times) before they would release the trailer to me. This time it appears that I can pick it up and get the SF97 without the EUC.

Q2: Did the EUC requirement change recently?

Last time I did not have a mil vehicle for the pickup so I had to get trailer lights and zip-tie them to the trailer and I had to buy the pintle and riser for the jeep. This time I have an M1009 that I will use to pick it up.

Q3: How well does the M1101 pull behind the M1009?
Q4: Does anyone have pictures of this combo?

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
3" Lunette ring is the standard NATO military size. The Europeans have a slightly smaller 2.5" ring. You can pull a US trailer with a European Pintle but it will bang around a bit more and could bind backing up.

Mark

20130928_084339.jpg

FloridaAKM

#1 Standard size that will match your pintle ring. Don't use a small one for obvious reasons.
#2 EUC is no longer needed for the M-1101 or M1102
#3 I pulled 3 M-1102's behind a Toyota Tacoma (separately, of course) with no problems for 300 + miles with no problems. You should have no pulling or braking problems.
#4 Pictures, can't help you there!

Watch your hub temps for the first 100 miles & let the rear tailgate on the trailer down for added visibility. Keep your tire pressure as recommended 15 psi. Good luck on your recovery.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TNFFUM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
when I won a M101A1. Worked fine for that and a later M1101.

I pull them behind a 75 Chevy C10 PU and it works just fine. I have to back into my driveway while turning while going up a slight up slope. No binding.
I think the receiver on the C10 is at least a foot higher than my Grand Cherokee, which I used to tow the last one home. I needed all the rise on the riser plate.

Attachments

FloridaAKM

It will tow nose down, that is why I say to drop the tailgate on the trailer to see clearly behind you. Your trailer lights won't match a civy vehicle, so put a set of horror freight magnetic lights on the trailer to match a civy truck. The tub is aluminum, but the stubs that hold the landing legs are steel & a magnetic base will stick to it for the trip home. Tie wrap or duct tape it for safety on the way home so a bad bump won't knock it off. If you pull it with a M1009, hitch & go; but watch the axle temps for a while till you are happy that nothing is getting warm or hot.!

Jakob1944

My neighbor helped me go retrieve mine M1101 up today at the Hood (his SUV)......He drove right out the back gate.....using a Suburban and drove on secondary roads and nobody the wiser....7 miles to my house.....The G/P worker had me verify the serial with him and had me sign and date the back of the release form......I sure hope the Humvee comes off that easy at Ft Riley.......I had previously picked up a Receiver Mount Pintle Hook at Trac*** Supply.......My neighbor laughed and said that I bought the cart before the horse......

DSCN1719.jpg

And for everyone's info....The DPDO yard at Fort Hood is full of very nice looking Humvees....all kinds including armored up......2 and 4 door soft top and hard top......there must have been 3 or 4 hundred nice ones......

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
#1 Standard size that will match your pintle ring. Don't use a small one for obvious reasons.
My concern is that the cross sectional dimension of the lunette ring (unknown) was too much for whatever pintle I had last time. (NOTE: I will be recovering the trailer using the M1009 but I need to get the Hemi Jeep set up for pulling it when it's loaded)

This is the drawing for the pintle hook I'll order. The 2" dimension is the one I'm worried about. Is that enough for the military lunette ring?

Pintle.jpg

Jakob1944

DSCN1726.jpgDSCN1722.jpgDSCN1724.jpgDSCN1725.jpg

Here is the one I bought and used it to recover my M1101......From Trac**r Supply......They also have the 4 hole flat back mount one there also as well as Reese at Wallyworld.....mine cost me around 80 bucks and is rated at 10k pounds......RM5P 5-Ton Pintle Hook......check their website for availability in your local store....

Attachments

Last edited:

NuclearPuppy238

My concern is that the cross sectional dimension of the lunette ring (unknown) was too much for whatever pintle I had last time. (NOTE: I will be recovering the trailer using the M1009 but I need to get the Hemi Jeep set up for pulling it when it's loaded)

This is the drawing for the pintle hook I'll order. The 2" dimension is the one I'm worried about. Is that enough for the military lunette ring?

View attachment 651623

I also tried to search the dimensions of the trailer pintle ring before picking mine up.
Here are a few pics with dimensions of the pintle ring on my M1102 for reference.
Hope the measurements are legible. I used a 10-ton hitch that worked pretty well, even when backing the trailer into the back yard.

Pintle Side.jpg Pintle Top.jpg

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pick-up & pull home was uneventful for the most part.

I got to the yard and spotted my trailer sitting alone. I dropped the trailer lunette into the pintle and the pintle wouldn't close. Seems my pintle was cocked a little to the left and no matter how I tried to manhandle it into the vertical position it wouldn’t budge. That meant putting the landing leg back down (one more chance to forget to put it up) and use the jack handle to straighten it. With the pintle closed and the trailer all connected, I did a quick light check and we were on our way.

As I was leaving the yard I suddenly remembered that I hadn’t stopped to get the temporary license plate for the trailer. Well, it’s only 50 miles or so….

It pulled well at 60MPH but did give the M1009 little up & down bounce that my wife didn’t appreciate. We stopped for a taco in town (45 miles up to that point) and the hubs were barely lukewarm. Once home I gave it a quick look over. Everything seems to be there; one pin is missing its lanyard and I don’t think the rear landing legs are supposed to use that long of a bungie. All in all I’m pretty pleased. It isn’t ~quite~ as pristine as the one I sold off four years ago, but it’ll do.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks