• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won my dream truck, need dimensions of reducible portions

LwCwb08

Well, I placed a bid on a non runner out of GA last week and ended up winning. Been my dream truck ever since I laid eyes on one when I was in the Corps. Racked up a lot of miles in convoys in Afgarbagecan as an a driver in them.

This is one of the Armored versions that has obviously been stripped down before the sale.

Waiting for the EUC to clear, and thinking of ways to fabricate a cab for it since I have more time (and not much time either) than cash.

Is anyone able to get me dimensions of the doors, windows, cab back, and the reducible portion of the roof so I have something to go off of?

If it works out, I was thinking maybe making fiberglass moulds of them and reproducing them if there's an interest since parts are scarse and extremely expensive.

Attachments

TacMac2012

All the missing parts would be extremely hard to copy in aluminum form, but if you could make them you could sell a bunch of them for sure. There would be SOOOOO many dimensions you would need that it would literally be impossible for someone to measure it all.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
All the missing parts would be extremely hard to copy in aluminum form, but if you could make them you could sell a bunch of them for sure. There would be SOOOOO many dimensions you would need that it would literally be impossible for someone to measure it all.
Agreed. I stood out there looking - and there are curves and set-ins and offsets all over those doors! It would literally take WEEKS to just to measure those doors and the left and right aren't perfect mirrors or each other either. Drawing a blueprint for just the doors would take weeks if you had all the dimensions.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
All the schematics and drawings are available to the public you just simply need to ask oshkosh.

TacMac2012

All the schematics and drawings are available to the public you just simply need to ask oshkosh.

I've called Oshkosh before (twice). I'll just say I am glad I don't need the dimensions. One guy was VERY helpful (was trying to figure out which relay/fuse powered the alternator) but vague (some seemingly simple things he couldn't tell me for security reasons). The lady I talked to on the 2nd call spent more time telling me she couldn't help me (because it took too much of their time) than it would have taken for her to answer my question (don't remember what it was). Literally, she took 10 minutes to tell me she couldn't help....

LwCwb08

I'm hoping to get as close as possible. The top part of the cab that forms the top part of the doors will be the hardest. Most of it I'm thinking of fabricating in steel the first go, although I have access to tigs and spool guns. Back part shouldn't be TOO bad... doors will be interesting too. But I'm gonna give it a go, been saving a lot of pictures of these components as I search the internet.

I'm super anxious to get this thing home... but the Marine Corps is in no rush to get through the EUC process. I expected my FOIA request for all the history on the truck would take longer, but I got that back today and that search ended with "sorry, we got nothing."

I was hoping to have this thing road ready by July 4th

TacMac2012

She has arrived! In the pictures I thought the big intake tube was capped... it was not. Water was full to about 2 inches short of the turbo.

No water in the engine, but condensation seized the rings. Got all the bores soaking in marvel mystery oil... has 394 hours and 5600 miles on the odo.

Par for the course. Kind of think that someone is running a water hose and filling engines with water, whether it be at the GP lot or before they get to GP. One I bought had nothing in the turbo or intake, but the motor had easily 20 gallons of water in it. It was cheap so I can't complain too much though.

LwCwb08

Par for the course. Kind of think that someone is running a water hose and filling engines with water, whether it be at the GP lot or before they get to GP. One I bought had nothing in the turbo or intake, but the motor had easily 20 gallons of water in it. It was cheap so I can't complain too much though.
No water in the pan, but this thing is super stuck I've been pulling on it with a breaker bar and a barring tool basically every day this week and I only got it to move half a flywheel tooth or so. Time for the head to come off.

TacMac2012

No water in the pan, but this thing is super stuck I've been pulling on it with a breaker bar and a barring tool basically every day this week and I only got it to move half a flywheel tooth or so. Time for the head to come off.
I had to pull the oil pan off mine and remove the rob bolts, hammer the pistons up so I could get the transmission unbolted from the engine. #1 piston wouldn't move, I ended up drilling a hole in the transmission adapter to get the last 4-5 bolts out of the flex plate. If it's stuck that bad, you are going to need some repair work.

This is why I have not been eager to spend what non runners are selling for nowadays, because I know the chances are good for them to have seized engines.

LwCwb08

I had to pull the oil pan off mine and remove the rob bolts, hammer the pistons up so I could get the transmission unbolted from the engine. #1 piston wouldn't move, I ended up drilling a hole in the transmission adapter to get the last 4-5 bolts out of the flex plate. If it's stuck that bad, you are going to need some repair work.

This is why I have not been eager to spend what non runners are selling for nowadays, because I know the chances are good for them to have seized engines.
Were you able to get the pan off without removing or lifting the engine up?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks