• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won my holy grail cheap! 936A2 added to the stable!

Hoefler

You dog! I won my wrecker out of Ripley too-but paid a little over 9K. To make things fair-send me a check for about 1,500 bucks to make the prices we paid fair and even.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You dog! I won my wrecker out of Ripley too-but paid a little over 9K. To make things fair-send me a check for about 1,500 bucks to make the prices we paid fair and even.
LOL Pete, I was gonna ask you, did you drive yours home or did you have it towed/hauled? I'm leaning toward towed. Right after you send my subsidy check for you having a MK48 while I don't, so -1500 would be a net check to me for 4K? Do I have that right? One that was towed to the lot went for under $5K! One of those lucky times when we're hibernating because MNDOT doesn't know how to keep roads clear?

Last edited:

corvette9

After first inspection I found the brake light switch unpluged, Why I don't know. Both the lift pistons on the crane had the lower pins that hold them in place pulled out. They where laying right there with the retaining bolts. I had to lift the boom with my fork lift and just install the pins. My boom cable was broke at the end right at the hook. Easy repair. Good news is everything works. All lights, brakes, winchs, crane. I was very happy overall.

I did change oil and filters. The truck must have been sitting awhile cause I needed to lube everything. The door hinges, the front winch valve under the truck was stuck. The level wind on the rear needed to come off and apart to free up all the rollers. Again all easy repairs. The only major problem is I can not shift the trans manualy. I talked the my local Allison dealer and he says it is a hold valve stuck in the trans. The trans shifts perfect I just can make it hold whatever gear I want by using the shifter. He told me it should be about a 3 hour repair. Once the weather clears I will bring it to them to for repair.

I got lucky and all the gear is still in the tool boxs. There must be 6 diff snatch blocks, three rolls of unopened rope , axe, brand new saw, hammers , bars, brand new jack, wrenchs, all the pins, even this crazy drop type light that plugs into the outlet on the dash. I can go on and on. No tow bar though. Only other thing I don't like is all the tires do not match. It has three Goodyears and the rest Mich. When I find 3 more Mich. I will buy them so they all match..

All in all a very nice truck for the money.

Brian G.

cx65083

Thanks! That's what I told my wife, she agreed after seeing me lose others at 10K. She's not even mad! Though she wants me to sell some stuff, guns, a truck, ect....
They ALWAYS want you to get rid of your "stuff" to get more stuff. I had to lose many many toys to please her. Then I changed it up and got rid of her. I am much happier now!

Nice truck!

I just joined the wrecker club about a month ago as well and it has come in handy for sure. Mine is a 85' M936 (new 11x20's), it was refurbed in 2009, had two medium tow bars, all the BII, two sets of slave cables, and two full tanks of fuel. I have about $5500 in it after selling the tow bars and cables, it has been a great truck so I can't complain with what I paid. Sure wish I could have gotten a A2 to have the 8.3 Cummins and super singles, but I am happy with a 'cheaper' truck since it is not like it will be one I will put many miles on.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recently joined the club too. Unit has been recovered by MDMorgan ( thanks Daniel) and waiting for transport to the farm.
First eval from Daniel is: inop speedo, air leak after the brake air valve, manual throttle cable broke. Good news: ran good, all hyd. lines are new, hard top and oh yeah, the vice is on the front bumper. Can't wait to put it to work. 3 large white oaks on the ground, cut to board length waiting to get pull out and trailer to the saw mill. C'mon spring.

Hoefler

LOL Pete, I was gonna ask you, did you drive yours home or did you have it towed/hauled? I'm leaning toward towed. Right after you send my subsidy check for you having a MK48 while I don't, so -1500 would be a net check to me for 4K? Do I have that right? One that was towed to the lot went for under $5K! One of those lucky times when we're hibernating because MNDOT doesn't know how to keep roads clear?
I had mine hauled because it would not start. Paid 500 bucks to have her trailered to my land in Lindstrom. Your not so far away which gives you more options. If it warms up a bit, maybe go for it and drive her home.
Folks at Ripley where very helpful and used truck to air mine up to move it. Once back at the farm, I discovered why she wouldn't start-no fuel!
Check your boxes-they are probably full of stuff. Mine had torch equipment among other stuff. There where a could of tow bars laying in the back too.
The wrecker is a great tool around home. It will make you think of stuff to lift-car, boat, dead trees. I popped a front tire on a sharp little stump and was able to use the lift for unloading my spare.
Lots of utility and fun here.
Pete

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had mine hauled because it would not start. Paid 500 bucks to have her trailered to my land in Lindstrom. Your not so far away which gives you more options. If it warms up a bit, maybe go for it and drive her home.
Folks at Ripley where very helpful and used truck to air mine up to move it. Once back at the farm, I discovered why she wouldn't start-no fuel!
Check your boxes-they are probably full of stuff. Mine had torch equipment among other stuff. There where a could of tow bars laying in the back too.
The wrecker is a great tool around home. It will make you think of stuff to lift-car, boat, dead trees. I popped a front tire on a sharp little stump and was able to use the lift for unloading my spare.
Lots of utility and fun here.
Pete
I'm having it towed home, I'll be working. John never seems to be there when I can get time off. LOL yeah I was thinking the same thing, I'm thinking I need to get another truck stuck in my yard just so I can use the winches :) You can teach me a thing or two about these wreckers, I'll be messaging you no doubt. Thanks Pete.

Bulldogg

Nice!!!! I picked mine up last Tuesday the guys at Ripley were good people they had it running and they were using it to jump start another one and they got it stuck lol. They cleaned mine out all I got was a owners manual but for what I paid for it great deal 2000 for a 1983 with 3000 miles on her have have fun with it!!! I get to run up again for a trailer I got lol

Last edited: