• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won trailer for M1008

Milbikes

I don't know if this is the best place for this post, but I just won a M101A2 trailer to use with my M1008. It is in Picatinny NJ. Would there be anyone in the area that could assist me in getting it onto my trailer when the time comes? I envision putting it upside down on my 5x8 landscaping trailer (Which can easily handle the weight). I am thinking of some 6"x6" posts across the rails of my trailer, supporting the upside down M101A2.

I plan to get the M101A2 standing straight up on it's back end, and slowly lowering it down onto my trailer (rope attached to another vehicle), using the come-along to get it up on the trailer, and plenty of strong straps to hold it down.

Do-able? Hal in CT

Milbikes

Thanks, I just posted over there. How long after auction close till they send an invoice? Do EUC's on trailers take as long to process? Just wondering how long till I have to pick it up...hopefully not in a snowstorm!

Attachments

Milbikes

I don't have a registration or tag for it, and don't want to get pinched. Also I don't know the condition of the tires, bearings etc.

ralbelt

I towed mine back from up near Ft Drum, Actually from Dogheads. With my E250, I had magnetic lights duct taped to the shackels, I had a plate for in in the truck. Took the spare from my M1008. It towed like a dream at 70/75 MPH with full cover on. Left DH's about 2100 hrs and arrived home at 300.

Boreal21

I pulled mine home behind my Jeep wrangler. I used some magnetic trailer lights from Harbor Freight that plugged into a normal flat 4 trailer plug. That thing towed like a dream.

If you use your 1008 to tow it home, you've already got a spare for either the truck or the trailer.

WARWAG

No way. That would be such a pain in the ars and take way to much time not to mention might be dangerous trying to flip the trailer onto another trailer. It will take you all of 15 minutes to repack the bearings on each side and could be done in any parking lot with the utmost basic tools. As far as having no registration is no big deal either. You can 1. Go to the closest DMV to the base and p/u a one way dmv pass. CALL YOUR DMV AND THEY WILL TELLL YOU EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEED. OR just go to that States DMV and tell them what you are trying to do. They will most lickley stick you with a $15 fee (Im guessing at this fee)and you have a temp reg to get it home with. When I picked up my three trailers in Ca. the CA DMV was closed..... The State trying to save money by closing there DMV offices one day out of the work week (dumb asses). Since I wasnt going to wait the weekend and needed to get the trailers moved I pulled them off base and repacked the bearings. All three were good to go but since it takes no time and is easy to do AND since I had them out anyway I just did it. I then towed two to my brothers house an hour away and then towed the last one 8 hours home. Stopped at SAMS club and had the trailer tires balanced for $7.00 bucks total. I dont think the military balances trailer tires. Anyway I had CHP and NVHP behind me more than a few times and they didnt even care or notice the trailers were not registered. Now the East Coast Im sure is much more annull about stuff like that. Just pick up a trip permit. No big deal and will allot easier and safer than trying to flip a 1,200 pound trailer onto its back and then re flip it! If the tires are bad (which I doubt) then have them replaced. Less than $200 for both and your on your way. Thats worse case scenario.

Last edited:

WARWAG

Just looked at your pics and those tires look fine for a trip home. Just check the tire pressure.

OK when ever I pick up a trailer I bring the following. Spare tire from another tire. (optional if you dont have one)
floor jack (but the one in your truck will be fine just carry some 2x6 x12 pieces of wood to raise jack if needed)
Tire iron that will fit trailer lug nuts
needle nose pliers (to remove cotter pin)
channel locks
Craftsman socket set
couple of tubs of bearing grease
Zip lock bags
flat tip screw drivers
rubber mallet
a magnetic trailer brake light kit
roll of gorilla tape.
leather gloves
box of rubber gloves
rags
hand cleaner

Last edited:

Boreal21

Good point about the DMV thing. Here it's not required, but when I bought my M1031 and had my brother drive it up from California, I went to my local office and paid $4 for a 5 day pass I think?

REDWOLF

I so whant one of these trailers to go behind my M1009. :lol: I think what you are trying to do can be done the way you are saying with another truck and a comalong.

ClockworkSkin

I have towed several trailers home without tags. One didn't have lights at all. So far, knock on wood, I haven't been hassled.

I would suggest just 'going for it', and towing it home. Behind a 1008, it looks official enough that you shouldn't have any problems. If you really want to trailer it, just put it on the trailer wheels down. I can't speak for NJ, but the bases I've been to in PA and MD have someone there to run a fork truck and help you load. Once you get it home, you can just roll it off the trailer.

Milbikes

I recovered it today. Nice solid trailer, but the wheels were stuck hard. I dragged it around the lot, and they never broke free in forward. They would slowly turn in reverse. Master cylinder looks like it is full of mud. Of the four bolts that hold the lunette head from the underside, one was missing, one was really loose, two were sort of tight. I had a rented car trailer with me (A nightmare of a trailer, really whipped) so I winched the trailer on and strapped it down. When I finally got it home, it rolled off the trailer easily!?!?! And we hadn't left the parking brakes on by mistake! ;-)

For my first GL experience, things went pretty well. As Arnold said, "Ahhl be bach!"

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just before Christmas, I won a MEP-003A on a 3/4 ton Libby trailer, at FT Lee, VA. My Buddy picked it up Wednesday and took it to northern Wisconsin for me. He had only the PIF & pickup authorization. Of course he had the magnitized tape on lights. He was fully equipped, so the trip was uneventful. Besides adding air to the tires, the safety check out, yielded no surprises.

Its hard to imagine what State to try to get a "Trip Permit" in. Before I leave here, I will go to my DMV, and see about a trip permit. Otherwise I will go with the PIF. I think generally, the Cops/Enforcement just want to know the thing is not stolen, and its Safe. There is no way to get a real license for it for a month or two, with GL at the helm.