• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won't go into 2nd gear.

rustystud

Well when we break something, we "pro grade" break it....

We pressed off 2nd and this what we found....it now makes sense that it would not slide into second no matter what I did.
As you can see, she is "gudenbroke"...

To recap, This occurred on the drive home, after attempting to shift into 2nd from 3rd at about 15 mph after running for 10 minutes in 5th, second had previously engaged no issue the four or five times we had driven it, and had given no warning signs of failure. It should be noted the previous owner indicated he had "Always" started off in second gear, and seldom used 1st....I know this is an old debate but it's worth noting. We drained decades old trans fluid from it after getting it to the shop that would be best desribed as "Putrid". We found no metal, but there was obvious evidence of overheating on the components.

A few questions,
-What caused this? Poor lubrication? A failed synchro? Operator error?
-What can be done to prevent this in the future?
-We intend on using 40 weight non detergent oil, as we already have purchased some, is this sufficient?
-What TM would have these part numbers/what is the smaller geared piece called?
-Best place to source these parts?

Thanks again for all the support from the SS crew!

-Deno

View attachment 649755View attachment 649756View attachment 649757

That is caused by bad oil. You need a quality oil especially on this gear as it is running against the shaft all the time "except" when it is in 2nd gear. I would "not" use the 40W oil. Get a good 50W gear rated oil or even higher since your in a hot climate. Don't scrimp on the oil ! Not unless you want a repeat of this happening again.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You really, really, really want to think about the OD upgrade right now...you get a gasket set, a new main shaft, needle bearings, syncro hub for 2/3 syncro, 5th gear and sleeve for needle bearings on main shaft, and 5th counter shaft gear. Not sure you need a new 2nd gear but Tom would probably have that one, too.
http://www.waterloospecialties.com/overdrive/index.html ...... just sayin' :)

As for starting out in 2nd...on flat ground, with an empty truck, I see no reason not to - release clutch slowly and use throttle only after you are off the clutch. If you like shifting, you can start with the transfer case in low, shift 2-3-4-5, shift transfer to high while staying on the clutch and shift 4-5.

Well when we break something, we "pro grade" break it....

We pressed off 2nd and this what we found....it now makes sense that it would not slide into second no matter what I did.
As you can see, she is "gudenbroke"...

To recap, This occurred on the drive home, after attempting to shift into 2nd from 3rd at about 15 mph after running for 10 minutes in 5th, second had previously engaged no issue the four or five times we had driven it, and had given no warning signs of failure. It should be noted the previous owner indicated he had "Always" started off in second gear, and seldom used 1st....I know this is an old debate but it's worth noting. We drained decades old trans fluid from it after getting it to the shop that would be best desribed as "Putrid". We found no metal, but there was obvious evidence of overheating on the components.

A few questions,
-What caused this? Poor lubrication? A failed synchro? Operator error?
-What can be done to prevent this in the future?
-We intend on using 40 weight non detergent oil, as we already have purchased some, is this sufficient?
-What TM would have these part numbers/what is the smaller geared piece called?
-Best place to source these parts?

Thanks again for all the support from the SS crew!

-Deno

View attachment 649755View attachment 649756View attachment 649757

Last edited:

rustystud

I agree here with cattlerepairman. Now is the time to do the conversion. About starting in second, it really doesn't' hurt anything unless your really slipping the clutch. Then your just toasting your clutch and adding strain to the drivetrain.

Deno

Ok, gonna return the 40 weight, What would you recommend SPECIFICALLY for ultra heavy weight gear oil? Preferably available from a chain(Tractor supply, napa, etc...).

Thank you SS crew

-Deno

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am a big Lucas fan. Really quiets any geared part done a lot. Use with a good
transmission fluid as recommended on bottle.

Ok, gonna return the 40 weight, What would you recommend SPECIFICALLY for ultra heavy weight gear oil? Preferably available from a chain(Tractor supply, napa, etc...).

Thank you SS crew

-Deno