• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wont start, need assistance diagnosing.

fvfr543

1966 M35A2, 465-LDT

I was driving the deuce this spring after just getting it running for the first time, Lost power while driving, didn't want to idle, had to keep the throttle mashed, limped it home. Replaced Filters. Replaced the injectors. Currently Fuel to the Injectors, Wont start. Will fire with a squirt of ether. Fuel is good, fresh tank or diesel. Air Filter is clean. FDC has not been bypassed. Flame heater system is installed but does not appear to be damged.

In my mind it has to be a Fuel issue? I fear it has something to do with the injector pump, but I have fuel to the injectors, could the pump just not be producing enough pressure?

I searched for quite a while and couldn't much matching this problem, lots of talk of injector pumps but nothing specific to this. Thanks a ton in advance, I'm still an FNG with deuces.

Last edited:

mmeridith

1966 M35A2, 465-LDT

I was driving the deuce this spring after just getting it running for the first time, Lost power while driving, didn't want to idle, had to keep the throttle mashed, limped it home. Replaced Filters. Replaced the injectors. Currently Fuel to the Injectors, Wont start. Will fire with a squirt of ether. Fuel is good, fresh tank or diesel. Air Filter is clean. FDC has not been bypassed. Flame heater system is installed but does not appear to be damged.

In my mind it has to be a Fuel issue? I fear it has something to do with the injector pump, but I have fuel to the injectors, could the pump just not be producing enough pressure?

I searched for quite a while and couldn't much matching this problem, lots of talk of injector pumps but nothing specific to this. Thanks a ton in advance, I'm still an FNG with deuces.
Bad hydraulic head, sticking fuel lever, bad HH o-rings. Just went through this myself, hh shaft was scored.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AceHigh

I had the exact same thing. Turned out to be the fuel shut off lever was disconnected. Follow the shutoff cable and remove the cap it goes into, make sure the lever is not swinging free. For me it was a cheap fix (free!).

Hope you get her running soon.

dmetalmiki

I still have this issue, have done all the above and fitted a new hydraulic head. Still the engine only runs above about 1500 rpm. So I am trending to thinking the hydraulic high pressure feed pump on the injector pump is the guilty component. Anyone any other advice?.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter

rustystud

I still have this issue, have done all the above and fitted a new hydraulic head. Still the engine only runs above about 1500 rpm. So I am trending to thinking the hydraulic high pressure feed pump on the injector pump is the guilty component. Anyone any other advice?.
Do you have a good fuel pressure gauge ? Install it on the final secondary fuel filter and see what your pressure is. The "Troubleshooting Guide" Floridianson posted will have the proper pressures in a chart.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One should think that if it runs at higher rpm not lower then it's getting some fuel and should idle. Does not take much fuel to idle. What makes the pressure in the Head? What holds the pressure back in the Head? What lets the pressure out of the Head?

FloridaAKM

I have the same problem with a no start new to me Deuce, but I am still going thru the normal items leading up to getting her running. I don't want to hijack this thread, so over & out!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are sure you have correct timing then you might try and up the main fuel adjustment one full turn. Mark the nut with a black marker so you know where it was to start. If it will idle then you can back down the main fuel nut 1/2 turn and see if it idles at that setting.

dmetalmiki

OK all..this truck drives good at times..however..it has and does just start running rough, slow down and sometimes darn near stop. Get it to around 2000 RPM and I can 'drive' most places non stop. I still am going to investigate that side pump when I can get at it..a nightmare on my big camper set up. (as if it was not nightmare enough already!.)
Floridianson, 1) in tank pump. 2) high pressure pump. 3) the 'squirty' thing in the hydraulic head. (that quill that goes up and down and round and round.) or should do. A further thought I might go a new pump route. Timing is not a factor in this case.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think it is the booster pump. Try and up the main fuel if it is to low it will kill the fuel and shut down the engine.

Jeepsinker

I would check the pressure relief valves for debris or corrosion. One on the fuel filter head and one on the forward side of the hydraulic head. Would be a shame to replace a whole injection pump over a dirty pressure relief valve.

rustystud

I would check the pressure relief valves for debris or corrosion. One on the fuel filter head and one on the forward side of the hydraulic head. Would be a shame to replace a whole injection pump over a dirty pressure relief valve.
I agree. I told you guys about the one pump I rebuilt that had a severe trash build-up in the booster pump. It was so bad it broke the gear shaft in the pump. Take that end plug out and check the pressure relief valve.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess I should have asked was this a running truck and nothing done? Was this engine /IP worked on and what was done?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK all..this truck drives good at times..however..it has and does just start running rough, slow down and sometimes darn near stop. Get it to around 2000 RPM and I can 'drive' most places non stop. I still am going to investigate that side pump when I can get at it..a nightmare on my big camper set up. (as if it was not nightmare enough already!.)
Floridianson, 1) in tank pump. 2) high pressure pump. 3) the 'squirty' thing in the hydraulic head. (that quill that goes up and down and round and round.) or should do. A further thought I might go a new pump route. Timing is not a factor in this case.
Think I was thinking about this post . Derailed thread so one thread one problem keeps things simple.

DavidWymore

Also check pressure relief valve on the secondary and final filter rack.

Install pressure gauge in bleeder port for sure.

IMG_7058.jpgIMG_7097.jpgIMG_7098.jpgIMG_7099.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks