• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won't start...out of options

CaptMonocle

OK, so around Christmas time the battery cable on my m1010 going to the starter melted and arced off the manifold. I dropped the starter, reinstalled everything and when I went to start it the starter must have been grounded against the shield plate. I got arcing at the batteries and white smoke from the driver’s side under the hood and from one of the fusible links on the passenger side bar.

I dropped the starter again, bought a new starter (24v). I installed new battery terminals, a new battery cable going to the starter, new glow plug relay, new starter relay, and a new fusible link.

When I tried to start it again the starter stayed engaged, I quickly pulled out the relay and disconnected the batteries. I realized the relay was stuck on so I went forward with Doghead’s starter relay modification. Now, all I get is a clicking from the relay when I try to start the truck.

I have gone through every test I can possibly think of, the TMs have no more info for me. With every test I try it seems to get worse and worse. I have good voltage everywhere. The starter and flywheel are perfectly aligned, and there are no damaged teeth on either. I am totally lost. Please help or else I’m going to have to have it towed to a shop. aua

CaptMonocle

I ran elctrical troublshooting test 43, voltage between front battery neg. and rear battery pos. was right at 22 volts. Is there a better test I could do?

m38inmaine

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the batteries were working like new you would have 24-25 volts, it sounds like one is bad, check each one and see.