• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won't Start Wait Light Problem

mysticme343

I'm new to the forum and it's the first time working on an HMMWV.

What I have is a M1046 TOW carrier that won't start and I've been tasked by my company to try and get it running for them. The Humvee has been sitting still for 6 months (covered up) but prior to that it ran.

Current symptoms are:
  • when switched to the run position I receive a quick single blink of the wait light, then it goes out
  • cranks but won't start with white smoke coming out of exhaust

The batteries are fully charged, all lights work.

Vehicle Vitals:
HMMWV M1046
DOD-9/86
KDS CONTROLS CR-2695 EESS

My thought is:
Diagnosing starts with circuit grounding, then based on the blink of the wait light my attention should move to the EESS, controller and glow plug circuit. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

My question is, are there technical documents available that have a troubleshooting break down for this issue and/or any other problem as I move forward?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull all your glow plugs, make sure they aren't fried first, that is unless you have another EESS laying around you can swap in first....

mysticme343

Thanks papa, great information.
As I was taking things apart yesterday to get access to everything, I'm starting to find a lot of hidden wires not terminated. Most of these were in the engine harness so I need to find the wiring diagrams for this guy.