• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wont start when its hot

notsosanestan

okay so got my rear tires changed went to start it up and just kept crankin now the bats died so i took them out and brought them home to charge them. it has been having problems started when warm when u need to crank it for a good 15 secs before it starts. but when it is cold it starts right up and its been around 15 20 deg here. could a dying starter be causing this?

dstang97

don't quote me but I think that means your starter solenoid is going bad. There is a guy In ct that rebuilt mine and did a great job and cheap too.

notsosanestan

idk i dont wanna buy a starter if i dont have to. the glow plug light doesnt come on when the truck is warm. but lastnight after i put the batteries back in and cycled the glow plugs twice its started right up no hesitation.

woodyNla

Curious behavior. I wonder if it could be bad fuel? It starts when the gps are hot, but takes a while when they don't cycle. Funky fuel would tend to ignite faster hitting a very hot object IMO.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The troubleshooting section of the TM -20, Chapter 2, paragraph 15, talks about the engine cranking and not starting.

Sounds to me like it is a fuel delivery issue. I would check the output quanity and preassure from the lift pump (fuel pump).

When the engine is hot, does the starter sound slow or normal? Does the truck run normally after it does start?

Last edited:

notsosanestan

its sounds normal but starting to think its the starter either it has a bad connection or bad starter when its cold it cranks really fast. but when hot it sounds like its cranking slower then goes faster and starts. i also dont know if thats cause its getting little to no fuel so when it get some it spins a little faster i will try to get a video. i can also hear like a noise of a pump when its trying to start kinda hard to describe almost like a old oil rig ud see in the movies sqeaking up and down maybe that is the lift pump? idk im new to diesels and this one is finiky

notsosanestan

just so u guys know i have found out that this is commonly caused when the injector pump is worn out and the tolerances are too big when it is hot.

notsosanestan

anyone know a good place to get a injection pump? idk i should try replacing the lift pump first looks like u need to removed the intake manifold to change the injection pump?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ther is a diesel repair shop the lists on ebay that will rebuild it for $280 and change. kr_services in Wisconsin.

Yes you have to remove the intake manifold and the oil filler neck to remove the bolts for the gear. It is all covered in the TMs.

Let us know how it turns out.

notsosanestan

where in the tm is it i cannot find it? also if this turns out to be the problem i am going to do a write up on here with pictures

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
where in the tm is it i cannot find it? also if this turns out to be the problem i am going to do a write up on here with pictures

The removal prodedure is in TM 9-2320-289-34. Look in the Fuel Section Chapter 3-37, page 3-119, Fuel Injector Pump and Timing Cover Replacement.

You should just need to do the first 7 steps.

mudguppy

this was an extremely common problem in the hundreds of HMMWVs we serviced. 99% of the time it's a bad fuel solenoid in the IP head. when it's hot it sticks and won't let fuel through for start-up. many guys would carry a jug of water w/ them; if it didn't start, they poured some water on the IP (mainly cooling the head which is where the solenoid is) and it would then start.

and when there isn't water, more than a few have pee'd on them to get it started.

you don't need an entire IP.

mudguppy

no, the solenoid is physically preventing fuel supply into the IP - it's not something you can bypass. it has to open enough to allow fuel to pass and when it sticks it stays in the 'off' position. it's basically a combination of being worn some but also weak coil no longer can overcome the resistance.

OL AG '89

have you pulled one of the injectors, or loosened line out of IP to see if it's "squirting" like it should, when it's hot, to see if it's pumping anything. Seems like if it's a fuel (no fuel) problem I would look there at the final destination and then go back through the lines until I find an ample supply of fuel....... just thinking to myself....