• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wont Start

Southpaw26

Ok I have had my M35 in lay up for about 8 months now. I went to start it and it wont do anything. Now I am pretty new to this truck. I only drove it a few times when I first got it. The batteries are hot. Am I forgetting something here in the starting procedure? When I push the button to start it I get nothing. I just cant remember if I am forgetting something here. Any help would be great. Thanks.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's best to use the search function as this has been gone over extensively, but here's a quick list.

If you turn the power switch then press the ignition yet nothing happens ask yourself the following: Do the gauges turn on? Does the low-air buzzer sound? Does the motor try to turn over? If not see below.

1. Check battery voltage with meter (assuming they arn't drained after extended sitting)
2. Cable connectors - may be loose - check entire circuit

If batteries are good and all wiring is intact then a switch may have failed or the starter is dead. Odds are if the gauges don't turn on then the circuit is broken. If she tries to crank and fails its the batteries. And if all the above doesnt solve your problem..it's a bigger problem. Good luck!

Southpaw26

I did do a search. But found nothing exactly like this. Yes the gauges work. And yes the buzzer sounds. However I am getting absolutely nothing when I push the button. Both batteries appear show over 12 volts.

hemichallenger

Check to see if the starter solenoid is getting power when you push the button. If it is getting 24 volts when you push the button your starter solenoid or starter has a problem. You can also jump the small solenoid wire that goes into the harness to the hot battrey wire to see if it turns over. Make sure it is no in gear and your hood is locked open.

rrrr

You need to read through the TM's, especially the operators manual. It will actually save you more time since 99% of the issues are discussed in some form in the TM's. The Deuce tm's are wonderful unlike the tm's for the 939 series trucks. The tm's, technical manuals are available here on Steel Soldiers.

Good luck

Tlauden

Stupid question... Is your "pull to stop" lever pushed in, I killed my batts one day trying to get mine to start and it's cause I never pushed the stop cable in :/ ;)

TIGERFANS2

clean the battery connections, make sure you're using a good/high priced Digital Voltmeter to test the battery voltage (harbor freight ~ $5.00 or less) 12.6 volts = good.... 12.0 volts <> good

did I mention cleaning the battery connections?

Southpaw26

Check to see if the starter solenoid is getting power when you push the button. If it is getting 24 volts when you push the button your starter solenoid or starter has a problem. You can also jump the small solenoid wire that goes into the harness to the hot battrey wire to see if it turns over. Make sure it is no in gear and your hood is locked open.
Where is the solenoid? I will look at this. Thanks.

You need to read through the TM's, especially the operators manual. It will actually save you more time since 99% of the issues are discussed in some form in the TM's. The Deuce tm's are wonderful unlike the tm's for the 939 series trucks. The tm's, technical manuals are available here on Steel Soldiers.

Good luck
What is a TM?

Stupid question... Is your "pull to stop" lever pushed in, I killed my batts one day trying to get mine to start and it's cause I never pushed the stop cable in :/ ;)
Dont think it could be that. Its not doing anything at all.

Do you hear a click from the solenoid? You may have a bad start button. You have to push hard and constant on it.
Did not hear anything.

clean the battery connections, make sure you're using a good/high priced Digital Voltmeter to test the battery voltage (harbor freight ~ $5.00 or less) 12.6 volts = good.... 12.0 volts <> good

did I mention cleaning the battery connections?
I will check and clean connections again. Thanks.

dmetalmiki

If this is too hard to follow..simply remove the "push to start" button..Remove and then Close/short the two wires together, IF there is no starter reaction , then look at the "relay" on the side of the engine, After checking the hints and guidence from others pre-mentioned. Good Luck. Let us know the fault rectification and outcome ok?

Heavysteven

You know how to start the truck right?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGTSZEKQ9nk&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]

Of that fails start checking your connections.

Southpaw26

Finally got some time off from work. So I started on a few of my projects. The M35 was one of them. I checked the battery voltage and cleaned the terminals. They all appeared to be fine. Still nothing. So I closed the circuit on the switch first and it did the exact same thing still. Next I attempted to jump the starter like you would on a car. And it spun over great. However it did not kick the Bendix in I don't think. It just simply sun over. That is all that I had time to do today. So I guess I will check my connections on my starter solenoid next. It does not appear like it will be easy to get to at all.