• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wont stay running

wharfman

wont stay running
i have a 1028 when i go to start it for the first time it starts than dies than you have to crank it for a min or so than it run fine has new fuel pump seems like its does not get fuel any help thanks Dave

detroitmuscle1986

i know on my truck if you do not give it some gas and keep it running, it wont start after that first attempt if it dies. Once it cuts off i can crank it over for minutes and nothing.. Idk if its similar to that..

91W350

You have an air leak. More than likely at the fuel filter base. It could be the hose between the filter and the injection pump or any number of other places. You may also have a faulty lift pump. My local pump shop says there is a check valve that is supposed to stop reverse flow or bleed back to the tank in the lift pump. He says when that check valve fails, the filter being the highest spot in the fuel system gets a bubble, the larger leak or the longer it is parked, the problem gets worse. On one of my M1009s, I replaced the lift pump on his recommendation and it worked for about a week. Then my problem was back. I fought the issue for several months and finally bought a new filter base when mine got bad enough to start actually drip fuel. It has run perfectly since. The reason it starts and runs, then dies is the injection pump is still full of fuel and the hose below the intake is full of fuel. If it has leaked back, the filter will have an air bubble. When the air gets to the pump, it starves out and dies. Originally a little rpm would carry it through, but as it got worse, it would not. I used to bleed it every morning to get it started. Then it was in the morning and after work. Then it was in the morning, after work and anytime it sat for four hours. Eventually it got to where it needed bled after a couple of hours. Really frustrating. Glen

91W350

The original bases are getting hard to find. I kind of wish I had done the spin on filter conversion. If you do a search, there are a couple of great threads on that. Glen

colelkhunter

second that. Mine still has the stock filter and base setup. Replaced filter recently because it was leaking something horrible. Most fuel related problems go back to the fuel filter. Doing some upgrades and this will be on the top of the list.

jimmy-90

When the symptoms you are describing begin to occur it is almost always the fuel filter base. According to The GM 6.2 Liter Diesel Engine manuel GM actually made a seal repair kit for the model 80 fuel filter base part #s 10471933 and 10471064 because the model 80 base was defective from the factory and will leak eventually. When mine started leaking and having the exact symptoms you are describing I went to the GM dealer to try and get the repair kit and they told me that those part numbers were long since discontinued. I fixed mine by converting it to a spin on fuel filter. After that there was no more starting and stalling a minute later and then cranking untill the batteries are dead or nearly dead to get it started.