• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wood for bows

1956_4x4

Well I figured I'd better get on the ball and cut the wood for the bows before my new top gets here. I have been to the wood suppliers in three towns to find some oak without any success. Actually, I haven't been able to find any type of hardwood. I went ahead and grabbed some pine and figure if I cut enough slats I might be able to come up with enough knot free pieces to do the M101 trailer.

Are people that make their own bows using hardwood or is pine able to stand up to the wind pressure when the trailer is on the road?

Smitty

hippiedude

I would think pine is ok for a trailer.... I would worry about using it for troop seats because of the span between bracket's ... Hard wood ism`t cheep , I`ve been looking at home depot and lowes ... Good luck !!

1956_4x4

hippiedude said:
I would think pine is ok for a trailer.... I would worry about using it for troop seats because of the span between bracket's ... Hard wood ism`t cheep , I`ve been looking at home depot and lowes ... Good luck !!
The only hardwood I found at Home Depot or Lowes was the thin stuff like one would use in furniture. It was also furniture grade and like you said, very expensive.

Smitty

2027Deuce

Oak would be the best. White oak if you can because it doesn't absorb water as fast as red oak does. I have a reliable source for both but it is kind-of pricy. You might try to find a local sawmill, he would probably have the best price. You could also use ash if you can find it but stay away from cottonwood becasue it gets really snaky. Scott

1956_4x4

2027Deuce said:
Oak would be the best. White oak if you can because it doesn't absorb water as fast as red oak does. I have a reliable source for both but it is kind-of pricy. You might try to find a local sawmill, he would probably have the best price. You could also use ash if you can find it but stay away from cottonwood becasue it gets really snaky. Scott
If I can find a place that cuts it, does it need to be kiln dried or anything along those lines? I don't want this stuff warping after I get everything installed. As you might guess, I am at a loss when it comes to woodworking.

Smitty

papercu

bows

The top bows? try a sheet metal shop and make some metal ones or you might just find some square tubing that will fit. Wayne

1956_4x4

KaiserM109 said:
What would 3 bows still in the factory wrapping be worth? These came extra with my M105A2. The other bows have 2 sets of holes to mount the top part on, so I think that they will fit either an M101 or an M105.
I'm not too sure what they're worth, but I bet the shipping isn't too cheap.

Smitty

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks