• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wood species for racks

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone, know for certain, the species of wood (oak, pine, etc.) used for
the side racks? The TM's call it part number 2411-65 but
not a word on the species of wood required.

I need to replace several pieces to the original.

Thanks,

Orren Winjum

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/73670-question-about-cargo-racks-troop-seats.html

The powers that be will tell you that the search function is your friend. It is.

Havind said that, any good hardwood should work, although oak is most likely what was used because of availibility and cost. You counld use poplar in a pinch, but pine isn't going to do the job. Just to soft and not enough resistance to cracking. I'd use 2-part epoxy to seal the end grain to keep it from soaking up water.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have to have new ones made, make them out of oak or locust. Oak is expensive, and locust you'll have to get at a local sawmill not a store, but either will last forever.

ryan77

Oak at home depot is not that much more then pine in the 12 ft lengths u need! I used pine and primed it and painted it with 4 coats carc rolled on and a final spray coat! If it cracks i will replace it!

JOEDEUCE

Ipe wood....AKA Brazilian walnut

Heres an alternative hardwood that I deal with quite frequently....its spell Ipe....and pronounced as eepay.,, I will post more specs once I dig them up.

Ipe Decking is perfect for exterior residential and commercial applications such as boatdocks, decking, boardwalks, pool decking, foot bridges, and so forth. Ipe wood can be sealed to maintain its natural color and beauty, or allowed to weather to a beautiful silver gray color. Ipe wood is an exotic hardwood that is naturally resistant to rot, decay and insect attack. Ipe Decking offers a 100+ year lifespan without preservatives! Our Ipe decking is responsibly harvested from managed forest to provide a renewable resource. Unlike Composites, Ipe is a natural resource that will bio-degrade vs clog landfills. We ship our Ipe decking products direct to your home or job site.

JOEDEUCE

Ipe wood....AKA Brazilian Walnut

Heres some info I dug up :

Ipe Decking (Brazilian Walnut) is extremely hard almost 3x harder than Oak. It has a fire rating of A1 (the highest possible, the same as concrete), and is denser than water (it sinks). It is increasingly popular as a decking material due to its insect resistance and durability. Ipe wood products contains no added harmful chemicals so it can be used near water without potential contamination. Recommended that you always pre-drill before installing screws.

Ipe Decking Color

Ipe Decking (Brazilian Walnut) is olive brown to black often with variegated striping. Texture is fine to medium, grain straight to irregular. As with all hardwood, there will be variations in color and grain which add to the individual character

Ipe Decking Hardness

Janka hardness: 3680 lb – Ipe harder than Hard Maple (Janka 1450) and Oak (Janka 1360) Recommended that you use name brand carbide tipped tools, keep edges sharp, and always pre-drill for screws. Have numerous extra drill bits handy.

Ipe Decking Durability

Ipe is extremely durable to termites and fungus. Ipe hardness provides natural scratch resistance making Ipe an perfect wood for exterior decking.

Ipe Decking Preservation

None Necessary! Will turn to a silver gray with age. A finisher with UV blocking will retain the beautiful brown

goldneagle

What about PRESSURE TREATED wood? Its Yellow pine which is harder than white pine and it's rot and termite resistant for 30 years.

Also it comes in green already! :jumpin::jumpin::jumpin:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And shellac it at least once a year.

engineer233

My papaw built his barn out of Hemlock . I'm not sure if it would be for this but the barn is over 35 years old and the wood is still in great shape considering it wasn't ever treated. If I ever build some this is what I intend to use.2cents2cents2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks