• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wood strip bed isolater

pigpen60

Does anyone know where the drawings for the M35a2 wood isolators that go between the bed and the frame would be? I've looked and didnt find it in the TM's. Mine are trashed would like to make new ones and guess I could measure the frame. Would still like a drawing though.

pigpen60

I was just out looking and they arent as critical as I thought, I'll just hold em close and mark 'em. But thank you for the offer. I'd still like to find a print but more for my personal pile.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess I'm looking for wood.
IMG_8848.JPG

Wood this guy be the gnarly feller we wood use for the woulden rail insulators, or wood it be a would of a different species? Maybe a would that wooden't be so twisted and knot so notty? Wooden't it?

Back to a more serious discussion....

I'm thinking that a species with straight grain and practically free of knots might be preferred, huh?

Last edited:

pigpen60

View attachment 793034

Wood this guy be the gnarly feller we wood use for the woulden rail insulators, or wood it be a would of a different species? Maybe a would that wooden't be so twisted and knot so notty? Wooden't it?

Bact to a more serious discussion....

I'm thinking that a species with straight grain and practically free of knots might be preferred, huh?
I'll have a good chance of screwing it up knots or no knots.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial

CMPPhil

Hi

To start with when I mounted a modified M35A2 drop side body on my 1941 Canadian Military Pattern it came with two redwood spacers which were drilled to match the rivet heads of an M35. Which of course those holes didn't match my truck, so off to the lumber yard, no redwood but they did have plastic or composite decking that was a near perfect match, even a good color match.
Drilled nicely with wood drills to match the rivet heads on the frame.

Seems to have worked well as they have been on the truck for 12 years with a good deal off road firewood handling.

Cheers Phil

winfred

anybody put in taller spacers and bolts to get back clearance from 395s? 6" taller tires would suggest 3" taller bed to get back to normal spacing, maybe slide in some 4x4s instead of the stock spacers, i don't know if ill ever need the articulation but i know when maxed out, ndts get pretty close to the bed

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know the argument about how these things were engineered, but what about plastic? I see this relatively heavy plastic that is dense (pretty close to some hardwoods, though a little heavier), rot free, it's plastic so there is some flex. And it's just not a material that would've been around when these things were designed.

CMPPhil

Having restored 3 WWII Canadian Military Pattern trucks all using wooden spacers between the chassis and the body. One thing I would say is that you want a material that will not hold water. Obviously wet wood between layers of steel = rust. I have used composite decking 1x3 on long chassis isolator , in cases using shorter blocks I have generally made new ones out of oak, to insure that oak would not absorb water I soaked them in oil. Vacuum treating them or treating them with hot oil seems to push the oil into the wood.

Cheers Phil

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks