• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on a "Major" Brake Adjustment

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have a bit too much petal play (more than I like) and a little soft so I bled the line from the master cylinder to the power assist and had one or two large air bubble comes out. Now it seems to be much better, still a little more travel than I like. Since I don't know the exact history of the brakes except the wheel cylinders are new, I jacked it up, put in a jack stand and then removed the wheel. OMFG again OMFG the tires are ****ING heavy! Anyway, as I thought, the brakes did need the major adjustment (per the manual). I adjusted per the manual (through the inspection hole) and the bottoms were tight and the tops were open. Adjust both to .010 and then came the super hard part. Getting the **** tire back on. All this took a good 1 hour, not including going to get larger wrenches (1 -1/16")... Only 3 more to go.

I do have a question, how do you tighten the bottom adjusting lock nuts as I can't get two wrenches in the space at the same time due to the shield. I was able to get it fairly tight but not to the 120 ft-lbs the manual calls for. The rears will be easy.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would use a crows foot on the center, and a wrench on the nut.

B3.3T

We created a dedicated wrench by grinding a shallow (narrow) box end wrench. Works great.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your brakes continue to be soft after all the adjustments and bleeding, check your booster. That was an ongoing problem with mine, even though it was new when first installed (they apparently don't like sitting around in the V for three and a half years while you finish the other stuff). Napa has replacements.

Cheers

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
FYI The stock brake linings are semi-metallic. The might have choosen them because they work better when wet, like after swimming. The manual shows the rear brake cyl is 1-3/8" while the fronts are 1-1/2". I might be wrong but I thought the deuce used 1-1/2" frt and rear.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks