• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on a spare tire carrier, suggestions?

koolex11

I am planning to build this out of 3/8 plate steel and a 3 inch square tube. It seems to be the simplest design with no bending and just a few cuts. I am interested in suggestions and any problems that people might foresee? For those who are wondering why not just use the original equipment, I guess I just don't like the look of it, and I don't want it pulling on the box. Sorry to the purists!

Attachments

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the design! I'd suggest making it low as possible and install some back stays to triangulate it a bit. Some 3/8" rod would work.

Looks good, let us know when its done in metal!

Rick

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Not to be a downer but to you have a head on shot, it looks to be way outside of the tongue? When it comes to doing some tight turns or backing with it that far forward the tire may impact the towing MV. I know I have almost hit my bumper with the tongue on a M101 in the past.

3dAngus

Put a scale under it and test the tongue weight. It would be helpful if you had an adjustable landing leg on front of your trailer if you add weight to the tongue.

Jake0147

That's gonna bounce.....

Lower it down so the tire rests firmly against the tongue and it should triangulate it's self. Probably could get it so that it (almost) leans onto place and sits there while you bolt it down.

A

A/C Cages

Put an flat peice from the bolts to the tounge to stop that bouncing he was talking about. It will allow the tire to rest on the flat stock without making a difference on what size tire it is. Will also strenghten the assembly.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Build if for the 900 tire the way Jake0147 recommends, and add a spacer under the tire for smaller diameter spares.

Triangulation will prevent your stand from tearing itself off.

Rick

koolex11

Spare holder modifications

Ok so I took all your advice and added some supports to triangulate. these will be 1/4" bar. I also lowered the mount 1 inch. Look better or should I try something different? I am hoping that with the members' input I will be able to do this right the first time.

A

A/C Cages

Yup thats what I meant, you used 2 when I said 1, but works great that way too.
I said 1 due to I was thinking what I have a ton of scrap 4" flat stock here at the shop. oops
But that way, it will accept all tire sizes, have a resting place for the rubber to sit on and will decrease all vibrations to a min... Good idea

Ratch

What if you rotated the whole assembly 180 degress, and lowered it? IE the top of the tire is closer to the tow vehicle and the bottom is closer to the bed. The tire could then sit partially inside the drawbar and shorten/stiffen the pedestal. It also might make mounting and dismounting it easier.

koolex11

Option 3:

This is the third design, and I am currently working on a 4th. The goal is simple, easy to build and operate, durable, functional, and not too ugly. Please keep your feed back coming!

Attachments

aaron379

id make it where you could put a lock on the wheel to the mount.... but i lock everything because people are always stealing stuff around here..... but if i catch then stealing from me they will have a nice 40 cal hole or 2

466Navastar

why does the tire need to be standing up - at an angle yet?.....looks like you could bust a nut lifting a tire up on that thing

how about just laying the tire flat in the piece with the ratchet strap holding it - and use whatever you were gonna weld to your design to hold it down....low center of gravity...no way to vibrate...ez to make..simple

CGarbee

Maybe its just me, but when I hitch one of my M101 series trailers to something, it seems like I am always reaching down between the a-frame arms to grab the front leg when I swing it up to lock it into position.
Seems like your mount would interfere with this.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't worry about ugliness - it's a spare tire carrier and will be covered by the tire most of the time.

Keep the ideas coming, the more ideas you come up with the more your brain gets an exercise. That and we'll keep joshing you. :)