• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on designing a WMO filter system

Crawdaddy

So, I've been reading for a while trying to collect part numbers for parts needed to build a WMO filtering system. It seems like part numbers for filters and filterblocks are scarce, but I think I've found some that will work. My primary goal of the system is to filter WMO from my vehicles using parts that I can get from the local parts stores. I will only be filtering oil 5 gallons at a time or so, so high flow is not a big issue.

While I'm producing my own waste oil to filter and reuse, I wanted some sort of water filtering. I found NAPA part number 3616 which is a 20 micron filter and water separator with base FIL4762 to go with it. Then to bring it down to 5 microns which seems to be sufficient for the deuce multifuels, I'm going with FIL1749 and base 4750. I'm going to pump oil through the system using a Harbor Freight 1" clear water pump (1" Clear Water Pump). I've heard they have issues with priming, but I figure I will use a vertical section of pipe to store enough oil to get a prime.

Am I on the right track with my choices of parts? I'm pretty stupid when it comes to filters and filter bases. Thanks for any help in advance.

Tlauden

Sounds like you have a good game plan. Tractor supply has spin on and canister type filters. Not sure if there spin ons will take any other brands though. And I would imagine keeping a pipe with oil in would be enough to get your prime going.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I cannot say anything about the pump you want to use, as I have not used it, BUT! I use an air powered barrel piston pump and it works great. I recommend getting two 15 gal barrels and pump from one to the other. It is a tried and true, proven filtering system.

gimpyrobb

I'm sure it would, I just used what I had on hand(from GL when minimum bid was $50) and I have filtered thousands of gallons.

RAYZER

I'm sure it would, I just used what I had on hand(from GL when minimum bid was $50) and I have filtered thousands of gallons.
Man,thats alot of oil! And thats a good deal on that pump,i have a pneumatic pump similar to yours but it disturbs the neighbors!

OEFISHER

You might try a check valve on the intake. I had one of those pumps for draining some tanks of water and they do not prime worth a *&*& well you know. I use a sbc pump and it works great pumping thru the filters. Good Luck

bodi044

I am setting up a filtration system with a large house water sediment filter housing and 5 micron filter. I have the dirty oil barrel pressurized @ a steady 20-25 lbs of pressure regulated from my air compressor. It pushes the oil up the pick up tube (6" off the bottom) it right through the 1/2 inch line through the filter and into my clean barrel. I will use the air compressor to pressurize the clean barrel to fill the tank on the truck too.

Don't have anything set up for water separation yet and I am looking for a 275 gallon storage tank.

bodi044

A pump will only vacuum off the main tank, it will then push through the filtration units on any system so your gonna have to sell me a bit more on your claim. A pump will build pressure as the filters clog but a 20lb regulated line will never exceed 20lbs.

gimpyrobb

Yes, but as the fluid leaves the tank, you get a MUCH larger volume of stored, compressed, air. If you are not using a tank that is a pressure rated vessel, you are asking for trouble. I have seen at least 3 tanks split open from air pressure and 2 "only" made a mess, spilling their contents. The third ripped open violently. I would not wish that on someone I didn't like. Have you watched the tanks when pressurizing? Doesn't that "growing"(expanding) concern you?

All I'm saying is make sure you are safe while filtering. Its not worth getting hurt.

NMCShooter

I went cheap and simple. I used a 35 gal steel drum with a clamp-on, removable top. I welded an "L" shaped tube to the side of the drum. the long part of the "L" ends .5" from the bottom of the drum. I attached a 1" ball valve and one of the Tractor Supply 30$ fuel filters to the short end of the "L" shaped tube where it sticks out the side of the drum. I poked a hole in the lid and attached a quick disconnect. I use a separate regulator and limit the air to the drum to 10-15 psi. Works like a champ and cost less than 50$

bodi044

Yes I agree to your point and yes I have seen the barrel split from pressure as well as they are not designed for that purpose. I don't want that to happen either. The system I saw was a steel barrel and the pressure was being run at 60lbs and it was forcing through at high volume. I use a poly barrel for the pressure side. Also, my philosophy is low pressure, low volume. I have all day to let the barrel empty at 20lbs of pressure. Slow and steady she goes. If it does not perform to my satisfaction I will not increase the pressure, I will instead install a pump to the system. Easy enough.

NMCShooter

At 10 psi, my rig takes about a minute per gallon. When I fill the barrel, I pour the WMO through filter cloth to jeep the big chunks from prematurely cloggin the filter element.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks