• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on Ol' Blue

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple of weeks ago Steelsoldiers and I got started refurbing the running gear on Ol' Blue, my '52 that has previously seen service with the Civil Air Patrol. Since rolling it in the garage, I've been stocking up on seals and brake components so that we could address any leaks or problems along the way. Brakes are not something I want to worry about every time I push the pedal :shock:

After getting the rear up on jack stands, we popped the drums off to find the familiar signs of gear oil everywhere. After pulling the old seals and giving everything a soak in the parts washer it was time to repack the bearings and install new inner and outer seals. A couple cans of brake clean later we installed new wheel cylinders, brake shoes, and adjusting bolts. Next stop - the front axle - wish me luck!

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Working on Ol

Brake work ain't glamorous, but it's required. Looks like you have a handle on it. Good pics, hope you plan on repainting the -37 Air Force blue!

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Working on Ol

maddawg308 said:
Brake work ain't glamorous, but it's required. Looks like you have a handle on it. Good pics, hope you plan on repainting the -37 Air Force blue!
Thanks MD - brakes are a good thing on 6000lbs worth of truck!

I've thought about the Strata blue and may consider repainting it. According to the data plates it isn't a true AF truck but one the CAP got after it left active duty. Decisions decisions.....

CGarbee

RE: Re: RE: Working on Ol

It's looking good. Great to see her getting some much needed TLC... :)

If you go with Strata Blue, we could have Tanner's Navy Grey, my USMC Forest Green, and Marcus's OD rigs in the Veteran's Day parade in Raleigh for more variety... Plus, it'd be a whole lot easier to tell one anouther apart on the trails or in the Golden Coral parking lot... :)

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been making some more progress on Ol' Blue since the last update. I picked up a Braden LU4 winch that has seen fire department service given the red paint. The bad news is that it looks like either a bearing failed or it was overloaded because the input bearing retainer literally exploded. There was enough tension on the housing to bend the bolts - I had to use a cutoff wheel to release the aluminum housing and loosen the bolts.

I don't have the PTO shaft but it makes me wonder if there was a hard bolt being used instead of a shear pin:
LU4 Input Bearing Housing.jpg LU4 Input Bearing Housing 2.jpg
Looks like I'll need to do some parts shopping with some of the usual vendors.

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today brought more progress - since the fuel tank is out being renu'd I got started on replacing the fuel and vent lines. I used a set from Midwest Military that contained all of the hard fuel and vent lines plus the short frame to engine block hoses. All lines were armored and came with tags marking where some needed to be straightened (the mfg. does this to make them easier to ship).
Fuel Line Set.jpg
I used a small amount of sealant to help prevent any vacuum leaks - the lines were all double flared and fit together well.
Fuel Line Sealant.jpg
I did have one line that wasn't quite right - probably operator error. A little bench work fixed that problem.
Line Mismatch.jpg

Tanner

Your work on the truck is looking good Chad! If you feel the need to practice more, feel free to tackle my truck over at Cabell's house... :wink:

'Tanner'

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your work on the truck is looking good Chad! If you feel the need to practice more, feel free to tackle my truck over at Cabell's house... :wink:

'Tanner'
LOL! I looked like I had been at work in the mines when i crawled out from under it today - there must have been a 5 gallon bucket full of dirt dauber nests where the lines went under the crossmembers! Is yours going to need brake lines too?

Any progress on the diesel conversion?

Tanner

LOL! I looked like I had been at work in the mines when i crawled out from under it today - there must have been a 5 gallon bucket full of dirt dauber nests where the lines went under the crossmembers! Is yours going to need brake lines too?

Any progress on the diesel conversion?
Chad -

I'm trying to determine a motor mount direction; have ordered one pair of mounts from Summit Racing, but looking into another option from Trans-Dapt -

Hope to have some time to look at it/work on it this coming weekend...

'Tanner'
Bryan

Wolf.Dose

winch problem:
as to my experiance it happens very often, that the wnich never was used in the Army, at least not under load. Some times it happens, that the corrosion protection stuff clogs the oil holes. Even with a porpperly oil fill of the winch it will happen, that the oil will not reach all bearings depending the conservation material.
My advice is: Even a NOS winch you completely have to take disassemble, clean it sorroughly and reassemble.
Wolf

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
winch problem:
as to my experiance it happens very often, that the wnich never was used in the Army, at least not under load. Some times it happens, that the corrosion protection stuff clogs the oil holes. Even with a porpperly oil fill of the winch it will happen, that the oil will not reach all bearings depending the conservation material.
My advice is: Even a NOS winch you completely have to take disassemble, clean it sorroughly and reassemble.
Wolf
Thanks Wolf - I can imagine if one did not check the true lubricant level that some expensive parts could be ruined quickly under load.

This one has seen some hard use as there were rub marks in the end case from where the winch was used for a side pull.....probably when it was used as a volunteer fire department truck. The remaining gear oil looked like bronze paint so something bad has happened.

I need to pull the safety brake housing and bearing retainer one night this week to see if the brake drum and band are ok - I am already planning on replacing all bearings and seals.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks