• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the Deuce today

Michael_Golden

Always some questions after being in the belly of the beast.

I bought my filters this time from Erik's Military. The Baldwin filters included the correct gaskets for the base of the filter cans but the new bolt seals did not fit. Is there a source for the bolt seals or should I just not worry about them? (no leaks so far - knock on wood)

What is the correct procedure to prime the fuel system after changing the fuel filters? I opened the bleeder valve between the two secondary filters with the power switch in the on position but after @10 minutes there was still no sign of fuel. We wound up using the starting fluid method to get the deuce running. Surely there is a better way?!

The air filter gauge attached to the dashboard is broken on this deuce. (clear plastic part is missing) Does anyone know of a replacement source?

Thanks!

Michael_Golden

That's what it would seem to me too. However, after we ran the engine sufficient to shut the low air alarm off, I could hear the pump running. Maybe that bleeder valve is just plugged?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The bottom probably fell off the pump in the fuel tank. Next time its low on fuel, pull it. Thats what happened to me.

Srjeeper

Any truck parts source will have the new air filter flow guage. They are not at all expensive and replacement is much easier than trying to repair one of those.

When changing fuel filters, it is always a good idea to fill the new filters 3/4 or more with fresh fuel. Then it takes just a few minutes to purge the air.

Starting fluid is very hard on an engine and will take it's toll in time.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I'll check the pump tomorrow morning. Thanks!
Easiest way to see if it's pumping would be to crack the line coming out of the pump on top of the fuel tank. Also when it's pumping with the motor not running you should be able to see/hear the fuel being returned to the tank by opening the cap and looking into the tank, this works best when the tank is not full :p

Last edited:

Michael_Golden

Any truck parts source will have the new air filter flow guage. They are not at all expensive and replacement is much easier than trying to repair one of those.

When changing fuel filters, it is always a good idea to fill the new filters 3/4 or more with fresh fuel. Then it takes just a few minutes to purge the air.

Starting fluid is very hard on an engine and will take it's toll in time.
Doh! The air filter flow gauge is not bad. It's just the type with a sight glass. I'm use to the newer ones with the clear plastic housing and a yellow float inside.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks