• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the FV1801A or Truck, 1/4 Ton, 4×4, CT, Austin Mk.1 AKA Austin Champ

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will attest to the fact that the Champ is very quiet! This is motivating me to try to get mine running now.

Nice M1028 behind you! :p

Cheers

Keith_J

383 Woodland is the best. That Rolls Royce runs nice with all 4 plugs firing aua. Otherwise the vacuum is not right and the over-engineered carb goes full rich.

If had more than 2 engines using spark plugs, I would invest in a spark plug tester. Especially if the plugs are $15 a cylinder. Also a spark plug cleaner.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suppose. If you like that tan color. It'd look so much cooler in 3 color :)
You know I am not a huge fan of the tan camo. ;) It will be 383 in the near future, once the FHT and shelter are ready for paint.
Like the attached picture, but with the lines a bit closer to the camo pattern from the manual.

Everything tan in my collection will eventually be 383, along with a couple of the MERDEC vehicles/trailers.

Cheers

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the Champ hasn't been running since the Veteran's Day Parade. I got home and the starter would not engage so wound up pushing it off the trailer and into the shop and there it sat. A couple of times I've been out to try and diagnose the problem and couldn't come up with anything. I always checked the batteries, individually and combined, and they always showed fully charged but when I hit the starter switch - nothing. It's a little difficult to run a multimeter on the wiring in the engine compartment when you have to activate the starter switch on the dash all by yourself so I was stumped.

Yesterday keith_j came out and we spent about 2 hours fiddling with it. Once again, of course, checked the batteries and while one was slightly down they were still in good shape. We started at switch on the dash, went through the wiring from the switch to the starter, then through the wiring to the ballast resistor, each time checking the batteries. Finally we were about to give up when Keith decided to check the batteries while I tried starting it. Suddenly we had 1 go from 12.8v to around 6v. As soon as the load was dropped it bounced back to 12.8v. So every time I checked it in a static state it looked fine but under load it crapped out.

We swapped that battery out and the Champ fired up like it was brand new with no choke and very little throttle.

I'm sure some of you reading this are going "well, duh! I would have known that." I didn't and if Keith did, he didn't think of it. Of course it'll never happen to me again or if it does my CRS will have kicked in so I won't remember it. At least now it's running so on to something else.

Keith_J

I was not close to giving up ;). My goal was getting at least one engine running. Some people donate blood for medical good. Others play rugby. I spin wrenches at Mark's. My right hand and wrist look like I had encountered a bad kitty.

Guess a battery tester is needed in the 1031.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Almost a year since anything has been done with the Champ. I had it backed out of the shop today to take pics for my new insurance carrier and realized I haven't done squat to the brakes all year. I think it's time to start pulling brake lines and roto-rootering them out to see if maybe that doesn't make things work a little better. Currently getting over the latest medical issue (Shingles - and not the roofing kind) so I'll probably wait until that's fully resolved before I start crawling under it.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well it looks like I've got time to get back to working on the Champ since I'm not working on anything else. Before I go pulling the entire brake system apart does anyone have any suggestions on what might be the problem? Here are the specifics:

1) rebuilt master cylinder
2) rebuilt all wheel cylinders
3) bled entire system
4) firm brake pedal but will not stop vehicle

My only thought is there is something restricting the line somewhere that's letting enough fluid through to allow bleeding the system but not enough to actuate the wheel cylinders fully to actually stop the vehicle.

R3Fab

It appears that many of the Austin owners on here are either current or former Gama Goat owners as well. It's something about being an oddball or so danged ugly they're cute (that's the only way I found a wife).
If you are interested I can see if a friend of mine would make you a deal on a Champ I once owned.
Very much a parts car, the engine is apart but I think the block is good.
Still a roller, and one of the early RR built Champs.
If I read your post correctly yours is also an RR build?
RR built DO have some differences from the Austin builds.
The RR engines are sneered at by some but are works of art, the hard chromed? crankshaft is worthy of display.
The Champ is in the bay area of Kalifornia.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does vehicle have a differential valve on the brake system that is possibly stuck?

Do you get "good" flow when bleeding or just trickle?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does vehicle have a differential valve on the brake system that is possibly stuck?

Do you get "good" flow when bleeding or just trickle?
I had to look up "differential valve" as I had only ever heard them called "proportioning valves." I guess you can learn something new every day. I do not believe there is one although I haven't put my hands on every inch of the line yet.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are interested I can see if a friend of mine would make you a deal on a Champ I once owned.
Very much a parts car, the engine is apart but I think the block is good.
Still a roller, and one of the early RR built Champs.
If I read your post correctly yours is also an RR build?
RR built DO have some differences from the Austin builds.
The RR engines are sneered at by some but are works of art, the hard chromed? crankshaft is worthy of display.
The Champ is in the bay area of Kalifornia.
I could use some additional parts and I know someone else in need as well. If he wants to sell (and it's worth driving to CA and back) I'd certainly be interested.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry.......

I have heard called "proportioning" valve also and that is probably a more accurate and correct name. Glad you understood what I was referring to.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks