• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the M1078 LMTV

agazza2

With M813rc at Ft Hood
Mark, have you figured out what type of shelter you are going to put on the trailer. For mine I was looking for a S280, as it would be perfect size, but hard to find one in Arizona or the west coast right now. I am also thinking about an Ambulance body, and paint it to match the truck and trailer. I have already bought a wrecked 2006 travel trailer which I took all the appliances and seating out of to build out the trailer. figure if I make it comfortable enough the wife will want to go all the time :)

So I will be interested in what you do for your build out of the trailer. Any ideas what you are planning?

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wait until they have been on for awhile and the truck sits in them. That sitting causes some of what some people call hop until they get really warm and settle in. A test drive shortly after mounting may not be the best testimony.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wait until they have been on for awhile and the truck sits in them. That sitting causes some of what some people call hop until they get really warm and settle in. A test drive shortly after mounting may not be the best testimony.
The Michelins hopped all the time even on long trips. They may have had a permanent flat spot in them but every little bump seemed to be exaggerated. I'm going to try and not let these set very often :)

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, have you figured out what type of shelter you are going to put on the trailer. For mine I was looking for a S280, as it would be perfect size, but hard to find one in Arizona or the west coast right now. I am also thinking about an Ambulance body, and paint it to match the truck and trailer. I have already bought a wrecked 2006 travel trailer which I took all the appliances and seating out of to build out the trailer. figure if I make it comfortable enough the wife will want to go all the time :)

So I will be interested in what you do for your build out of the trailer. Any ideas what you are planning?
I'm actually looking in to finding a used Hi/Low bumper pull trailer and pulling the axle off to just mount the whole thing on the 1082. I'd paint it to match as well and wouldn't have to worry about figuring out all the plumbing. I don't think the Mrs will go along if there isn't a semi-real bathroom. She'd rather buy some Depends then use a port-a-potty.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started pulling the interior out of the cab to continue the insulation. Found a dispatch folder under the driver's storage box with documentation that the truck was in Korea in 2002. Plenty of sand/dirt under the mat and further evidence that one of the side windows had been broken at one point.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Started pulling the interior out of the cab to continue the insulation. Found a dispatch folder under the driver's storage box with documentation that the truck was in Korea in 2002.
Does that jibe with the VIN check you made with bikeman?
bikeman only looked to the last assigned unit which was a MP outfit at Ft Polk.
It's sounding like active MV's can just "gravitate" to various destinations without record of transfer. Do you have any idea if that's right?

DanM7890

Started pulling the interior out of the cab to continue the insulation. Found a dispatch folder under the driver's storage box with documentation that the truck was in Korea in 2002. Plenty of sand/dirt under the mat and further evidence that one of the side windows had been broken at one point.
My truck was the exact same. Passenger window was a one point broken and the pieces are stuck to the inside of the door via that gooey crap. Also I have sand EVERYWHERE in my truck. I would be curious if mine was over as well.

Another Ahab

My truck was the exact same. Passenger window was a one point broken and the pieces are stuck to the inside of the door via that gooey crap. Also I have sand EVERYWHERE in my truck. I would be curious if mine was over as well.
You all are reminding me of a WWII story I read once in a science magazine:

- About how the U.S. located the beach in Japan where the Japanese were assembling and launching the fire-bombs they floated against the West Coast of the U.S.

B-29's took care of the rest of that problem. If I can find that story I'll post it up here (it's a small drift); pretty amazing story.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's sounding like active MV's can just "gravitate" to various destinations without record of transfer. Do you have any idea if that's right?
I'm sure there are detailed records of transfer. Like I said, bikeman just went back to the last unit the truck was assigned to and no further. I'm sure he could research it all the way back to Stewart and Stevenson if he wanted to go to that much work. The government (including the military) runs on paperwork (or electronic bits) so everything is out there.

Another Ahab

I'm sure there are detailed records of transfer. Like I said, bikeman just went back to the last unit the truck was assigned to and no further. I'm sure he could research it all the way back to Stewart and Stevenson if he wanted to go to that much work. The government (including the military) runs on paperwork (or electronic bits) so everything is out there.
That's what I was figuring. I'm sure you're right about that.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could have responded with that exact same paragraph! Same window, glass in same gooey stuff, and sand. The glass was stuck over the whole door inside, top to bottom, like the truck had been on its side, or the door had, when broken.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If anyone is bored and want to experience a Royal PITA then you should try gutting the interior of a M1078. You can't just take 1 thing off because you need to take 3 things off to get the 1 thing off you wanted. So basically I just pulled everything out. My concern is getting it all back in properly once I'm done with the insulation. I'd prefer to do a little at a time so I'm not sitting at the end looking at a pile of parts wondering where that thing, I don't ever remember seeing, goes. And unfortunately we didn't do all of this before the evaporator install as I'm going to have to at least loosen it up to get the mat out from under it. Now couple all of this with the fact I can't work more than a couple of hours in the morning due to the heat and what should be a weekend job is now probably going to turn in to a couple of weeks job. Man getting old sucks!

Attachments

Another Ahab

If anyone is bored and want to experience a Royal PITA then you should try gutting the interior of a M1078. You can't just take 1 thing off because you need to take 3 things off to get the 1 thing off you wanted. So basically I just pulled everything out. My concern is getting it all back in properly once I'm done with the insulation. I'd prefer to do a little at a time so I'm not sitting at the end looking at a pile of parts wondering where that thing, I don't ever remember seeing, goes.!
I hear you, mkcoen; and I know exactly what you're saying.

But that's what's great about camera-phones, you can keep a running log of what you;re taking apart so you at least have a fighting chance of assembling it all back together properly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks