• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the M38 next.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back at it after the summer. Wheels painted new Firestone NDCC's from Summit sitting in the garage.
wheel.jpg

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What other size tires does Summit carry? I’m looking to replace the fire truck’s tires with NDT/NDCC or other period correct tires. The size I’ll need will be 7.50x20. Looking good on those rims!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I have 73 drilled holes to fill from the hard top, heater, radio's, and fire department. This is going to take awhile.....
jeep5.jpgjeep6.jpgjeep7.jpg

CMPPhil

Hi

Are you backing the holes up with anything while you weld them up?

I like brass or copper, clamped tight to other side of the hole, while welding them in, saves on grinding time to finish.

Looks like a fun project.

Cheers Phil

PS I'm using HTP 120 Mig

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
May I ask what size MIG welder you use or would prefer? That's my next addition to my "arsenal" and for the very same reason....
I have the Miller (think it's a 140). It is great on sheet metal. If I was going to do it again, i'd get a 220V one in case you wanted to weld thicker metal. I use a copper spoon I bought at Harbor Freight. I also went online and bought a 3/8 x 1/2 x 12 inch copper rectangle bar that I bent that fits behind odd shapes. It works great. You can see them both in the first picture in post #46.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what is wrong with this picture? Had to order the correct lower housing for the rebuild (not here yet).
DISTRIBUTOR.jpg

Last edited:

mdainsd

Not sure what you are asking? You have two distributor bases there. One (new) is an early base that doesn't use a condoner on the 24V input connector, The old one is a later one. what are the numbers on the bases? Almost looks like the new one is a Dodge base.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are both M38 distributor cases. The new one I had is an early style. I had to order the correct one from Midwest (not here yet). I had no idea there were different styles until I dug it out of storage and started rebuilding the distributor.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t think there’s an approved cosmoline removal agent. Gasoline works pretty good, but it causes cancer. MEK works better but it causes cancer. Tric works okay but, yep, it causes cancer. If you go waaay back, the old school method was boiling water. It doesn’t cause cancer unless it’s city water.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally finished the distributor rebuild (just need to trim the roll pin in the shaft). Parts fought me a lot! Pretty much everything bought from ebay wasn't right: housing, condenser, and points-all wrong. Oh, about the Cosmooline-I cleaned it in the parts washer as best I could, then I put it in a large pot and heated it up. The Cosmoline just floats to the surface.
distributor.jpg

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Did I read some where early in this thread that you were not going to go "Crazy" with this restoration? Hummm Does that mean this time unlike the M37 project you will not replace every bolt with a new grade eight, fine thread like you did with the M37? Must be a family related affliction .

Nice resto however like allways.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks