• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working On The M561 Gama Goat

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was asked for some pics of the MWO moving the buss bar to the side of the engine compartment so here they are:

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

It's located on the driver's side just under the bilge pump hose.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you provide us a MWO number or, better yet, a picture of the MWO it's self.
I don't have the MWO as it had already been performed on my Goat when I got it. I believe m38inMaine might have a copy (or someone in one of the other Goat threads).

Gamagoat1

I have seen most of the changes authorized for the Goat, but that one I have not seen. With no guard to protect it , it's a bad location. The fact that it rarely gets used makes me wonder why move it.

I don't have the MWO as it had already been performed on my Goat when I got it. I believe m38inMaine might have a copy (or someone in one of the other Goat threads).

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen most of the changes authorized for the Goat, but that one I have not seen. With no guard to protect it , it's a bad location. The fact that it rarely gets used makes me wonder why move it.
There is a guard for the buss bar I just have it removed for the photos. If you ever need to access it I'd much rather have it here than on the back of the tub under the radiator.

Gamagoat1

There is a guard for the buss bar I just have it removed for the photos. If you ever need to access it I'd much rather have it here than on the back of the tub under the radiator.
Agreed.. I've only accessed mine when installing the slave receptacle.
You're right, it's a bear..

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally got my oil pan gasket (that I ordered over a month ago). Since the motor is already in I guess I don't really need it but for $8 I can stick it in a drawer in case the need ever comes up. It took flipping it around 3 times before I got the holes to line up. It definitely only goes in 1 way but once oriented correctly it's an exact fit. I got it at: http://store.carpcoastalmarine.com/ in case anyone else needs one (thanks to m38inMaine for finding it).

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I finally got my oil pan gasket (that I ordered over a month ago). Since the motor is already in I guess I don't really need it but for $8 I can stick it in a drawer in case the need ever comes up. It took flipping it around 3 times before I got the holes to line up. It definitely only goes in 1 way but once oriented correctly it's an exact fit.
Murphy's Law of course dictates that you won't get the right alignment for fit until the very moment that you have exhausted all the other possibilities.

It's just science.

It would be nice of course to stamp the gasket "This Side Up" and "This Edge Forward". But why make things easy for anybody, right!?

Keith_J

And the Permatex Ultra Black gasket compound is still working great :wink:.

It should, that is what my little turbo diesel uses, aluminum pan to cast iron block. Factory spec, although VW has their own proprietary blend, Permatex stuff is even better. This gasket joint has very little pressure.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keith over today to get the pistons/sleeves out of the old block. What a PITA! Finally got one out. The sleeves appear to be sticking from the partially melted o-rings at the water jacket.

image.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got the other 2 out. Last time I try doing that. I have a huge amount of respect for the mechanics that had to work on these in the service. I'm sure they had the appropriate tools for the job but most Company level guys probably had to do everything with the engine still in the Goat. I know they would 't have been pulling piston sleeves but even changing a starter in tub would have been a pain.

Attachments

combat32

I am sure Mark will be glad to get those, talked to a fella the other day who was a 63b light wheel mechanic back it the day. I told him I had bought a goat, he immediatley started cursing, telling me what a PITA they were to work on.

m38inmaine

Good job, I suspect you are correct on the o ring. Since my pistons were seized in the sleeve I did not have to be as gentle. Thanks Keith for helping Mark, much appreciated.

Last edited:

Keith_J

Gentle? Mark had tried with a piece of 1-1/4" galvanized pipe, no luck. I used a piece of much heavier walled ERW tube, a little larger in diameter but twice the wall thickness. Even then, we cut off the mangled end contacting the liners...4 times :?.

I reworked the engine support stands to make a puller but didn't have material to make the sleeve fingers. Oh well, welding is fun.

Another Ahab

I reworked the engine support stands to make a puller but didn't have material to make the sleeve fingers. Oh well, welding is fun.
Agreed. What about molten metal isn't fun and a total gas!?

(I mean, you know, with a judicious amount of caution being applied, of course)

Last edited:

Keith_J

Agreed. What about molten metal isn't a total gas!?

(I mean, you know, with a judicious amount of caution being applied, of course)
GTAW (TIG) is real fun. No sparks, slag or smoke. The WYSIWYG of welding. All welding is best when it is cool outside.

Back to the topic at hand, I will make a pulling finger set for the 3-53, just because it will be needed by someone here. $500 tool.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark do you mean this gizmo? If so they are welded on, I can cut them off the parts truck.
Yep that's it. Mine's missing so it looks like there was a strip bolted to the tub with those attached. I didn't know they were actually welded to the tub.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks