• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the MKT

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark,
I'm glad it didn't have to roll far to it's new home.

M1031CMT,
I'll be in the middle of the police, first responders, civil authority types when the ZA happens, cooking for them. It will be up to that group to keep all of us from becoming the menu.:)

Stan Leschert

There is now another one rolling around. due to lack of data plates, I'm not sure if it's a 75 or 85. It has 12 roof vents, M59 ovens, 2 of the M2 burners have had BBQ guts put on them, canvass ... well what do you expect. Needs the canopy lifting jacks and many other small things. For the price and location, I think that we can refurb this thing to support our Legion and local Cadets Corps (x5).

Like the Ikea manual sez, some assembly required.

We have a smart enough crew, we can do it!

Thanks to Mike for the Thumb Drive of all the TM's.
Pesos on the way.

Inside pics will have to wait until we get a real chance to start cleaning,
and the inventory of all the "Un-Obtainium Items" that we want to have present.

Leo Vanderbyl, who is a new member here, now owns this and the M36A3.

This is a real big boost for our Legion. Yes, the Cadets will be well fed too!

Unfortunately, we won't be ready for our Legion Chili Cook Off, but I'm back to work,
and 1 week lead time, would have the Depot staff hard pressed!

Attachments

Stan Leschert

1st work day!

We finally had a chance to open it up. We expected a bit of a crap shoot.
It was surplussed out of Ft. Lewis, and Leo picked it up off a Movie Props company.

Some things like the travel cover are hooped, the canopy lifting jacks are not there,
the canopy frame and safety rails are not aboard.

On the plus side, it has 3x M59 ovens, enough inserts for all of the warming trays,
4 complete hay Boxes (with inserts), most of the BII cooking utensils,
an external burner for use as a pot boiler... I'm thinking Dungeness Crab! That stuff grows wild up here!

Our Legion crew is fired up and we want to get this thing working,
and safetied by the local health board. We have some plans for this old beast!

To Quote a t-shirt that one of my cooks wore ...
"CF Cooking - Death From Within!"

Attachments

Last edited:

Stan Leschert

Missing things .... The canopy lifting jacks are not there. I think that I have a plan, but what have the rest of you done, aside from getting 4 Beefy Soldiers to elevate that thing.

The tubing for the canopy totally is not there, so if someone could give me a pick list with measurements,
I will fab it here.
For now, I'm not that worried about all of the fancy fittings,
but as I get the time, I will try to make it as right as possible.

Mike, I am sure that the drive is at customs,
while they try to ensure that it doesn't contain anything of interest to them.

Go figure. My security clearance was and is still way higher than any of the Canada Border and Security Agency WOGs,
but they have the power to gum the gears.

Leo says that he sent your costs to your QTH.

Thanks to all of you, I am a real Private Un-Trained where this kit is involved.

I ate off of some of these things in the field,
but I was too tired and hungry to pay attention to the things that I need to know today.

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stan,
The overall length from the top of the hook to the bottom of the pin is 79 inches. The spreader bar has a minimum length of 30.375 inches, and will extend between 1.25 and 2 inches to tighten the roof up. All of the .25 inch diameter tips are one inch long. Side rails are made to fit between the upright poles. Original stuff used one inch , thick wall, aluminum pipe for all tubing.
See pictures for details.

Attachments

zout

Throwing this out there that a couple high valued targets like yourselves up there in BC should come down here - starting immediately - to be able to make it to the 2012 Georgia Rally and watch Mike and WM and the rest of his set up crew put this wicked MKT of his into action.

It is a work of art to watch these folks work in this MKT and produce the quality and quantiity of chow they do - absolutely astounding.

The field in the new area can handle a small light aircraft and it would also make a perfect DZ. Meaning we would love to have you come which ever way you could touch down.

I am sure Mike would even let you assist so you could really get the hang of his unit. Then head back home a fully experienced individual.

Stan Leschert

Throwing this out there that a couple high valued targets like yourselves up there in BC should come down here - starting immediately - to be able to make it to the 2012 Georgia Rally and watch Mike and WM and the rest of his set up crew put this wicked MKT of his into action.

As much as I would LOVE to be there, they Gods of the Lottery have yet to enhance my travel budget.

For now I am going to have to call upon my local Military Units, and Veterans, all of whom are goo-ing all over themsleves for the chance to get the use of this piece of kit for their local events.

That is not a problem, once I have it re-commissioned and certified by the health board. They can use it, providing they cover the expenses.

On a side note, yet another branch of the Legion has hopped on to this project, just because they know how we plan to use it. We now have a work area which has a wet canteen and smoke pit!

The current Military people have been outstanding.

Remember that we have only had this piece of kit in the compound for 2 weeks, and we all have full time jobs, so I can't accomplish the mission at the same speed that I once could have .... but I no longer wear Green!

You can't believe the excitement that this unit has caused.

The only hitch in my weekend plans is that the primary tow vehicle (M36A3) is out on a movie set, so we are going to have to use the M135. Slower, but with the shorter turning radius, you don't look quite as stupid!

Last edited:

Stan Leschert

And Thanks, Mike.

My welder should have no problem making these on his next "Days Off"

You guys are incredible. Without your help, we would have just kept walking.

A lot of people ae following the project now.

Literally.

They are watching the progress, and asking what they can do or get for us!

Still waiting for the Platinum Visa Card, which someone else will top up,
but we are doing well with what we have.

Stan Leschert

Guess what showed up, just in time for the weekend work party!
The MKT Bible!

I am going to have some questions about the things that should be griddles (pic 6 on post 143) ,
but I think that I am missing more than a few parts.

The short term goal is to have it boiling Hot Chocolate and sandwiches for Remebrance Day ... Nov 11 ...
At the Armories. I am sure that this will happen. Our crew is happy!

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I went looking for MKT items and found the actual manufacturer of the MKT Canvas items (IE, not Penn Metal Fabricators). It's Ehmke Manufacturing in Philadelphia, PA. they make all sorts of 'canvas' stuff for the military. See attached PDF.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here we go again. Stuck my foot back in it and bought a MKT-99 out of Hooks, TX today. Overhauled at Letter-Kenney in 2010. Unfortunately with GLs new format I can't tell if an EUC is required and I'm leaving for Idaho for a week on Sunday. Nothing like a mad dash to pick it up when I get back if I'm not waiting for anything to clear.

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
mkcohen,
Welcome back. I was looking at that unit, You got a good deal on that one. If that was on the East Coast, it would have cost someone 3 times as much. Congrats!

John
Thanks! Unfortunately it was the only one that didn't have the burners with it (the reason it went cheaper). I have a friend that had a few excess MBUs in his shop but I haven't been able to reach him to see if they're still there. I have 3 left over from my last MKT so at least I can get the grill and 1 oven going.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks