• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working out the kinks in my New deuce.

PawnShopEd

hey guys I have a new deuce and I'm trying to work out all the kinks in the truck. I just got done flipping the wheel hubs and packing all the bearings again. I picked up a set of a3 wheels and tires and mounted on the truck. I'm getting ready to install an air assist kit. All the fluids are flushed. Everything sounds great and runs good. But I noticed a good vibration while accelerating I can see it in the steering wheel noticably and feel it pretty well. And at high Speed theres a vibration under the truck, sounds to be about mid cab or right behind. It's about 45 - 55mph and its not rpm based and the sounds definatly noticable. I looked and my rear axle isn't tracking right with the other rearmost axle. The dog bones have dry rot in the bushings on the end. So I'm thinking alot of my problems might be stemming from that or atleast the vibration and the occasional weird steering feelings. any suggestions and how hard is it to switch the dog bones? I have an extra parts deuce with perfect Dog Bones.

Also I was told that these tires (stock a3) are 46" but when I looked on ebay to find a spare tire, and one i have is kinda cupped and work in the center, I found the same tires but they seem to be 44". Could someone explain the tire size differences and also whats the biggest that can fit on a deuce, and whats the biggest I can mount on an a3 wheel. The stocks are 40" correct?

Also does anyone know where I can find an extra a3 wheel for a spare. And any good deals on the largest set of tires I can run on my deuce lol. Close to M.D
Thanks
Ed

frodobaggins

The largest you can run on an unmodified deuce are 395s or 15-20s. Both are 46 inches tall.

The stock tires on an A3 are smaller than 46", 44 sounds about right, but don't know the exact number.

rlwm211

Another common fastener that can loosen up and make such a vibration is the short driveshaft between the transmission and the transfer case. The bolts on the flanges can become loose and cause a driveline vibration that worsens under load.

Hope this helps

RL

PawnShopEd

I haven't checked the gear box but i will do that this weekend when I put the air assist on. The driveshaft might be the ticket but u joints seem tight and the only other thing I can think of is the driveshaft is out of balance or such. I actually popped one of the tires loading a car on a trailer and just ordered a new one there is a guy on ebay that has them dirt cheap and shipping was dirt cheap to me. So I bought a replacment and a spare for it. Figured once these go bad I'll go and move up to 46's, of the 46's which tread pattern is the best for mud / snow?

Also the rear wheels seem to be offset .... the dogbones are dry rotted it seems I'm wondering if you guys think that could be why I'm getting a vibration? As well how hard are they to change?

Also the rattle I have after driving I can give more details - only starts after 40mph and is extremely loud - like over the turbo audible. I took and filled the bed full of people in the troop seats to make sure it wasn't the seats or something back there, not there, then I got under neath the truck and kicked and moved everything around. Still to no avail nothing rattled. Then we tried riding on the outside of the cab and held onto the light becon etc and nothing helped.

I'm haveing the bed line-xd and the underside of the bed. I'm debateing on haveing them do the underside of the cab beings it seem's thats where the last truck seemed to be rotting. Do you guys reccomend this I'm thinking it's the best rust prevention you can find and as much as I drive my deuce's It would help during the winter and a high salt load etc. good / bad/ indifferent

Thanks as always.

frodobaggins

Check for an unseen flat. I had one, and if the truck went over about 45, it shook like crazy and made a **** of a noise because all of the flexing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks