• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working the dumper like a rented mule

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
We have been clearing some land and doing a few construction projects around the LZ and one of our prime movers is a M817 dump truck.

It belongs to fellow SS member Smothernu and he has been doing the honors as far as operating it.

The damage so far has been to raise the level of a road that will run by the new pond, construction of a pad for a new barn and moving tons of nice red clay to the new dam site.

Some pics for your consideration.IMG_3191.jpgIMG_3184.jpgIMG_3137.jpgIMG_3179.jpgIMG_3135.jpg

mudman

****...That is some really red dirt (clay). I've never seen it that color.!!! Good luck on your project. Oh, I think you might be over loading the haul truck just a bit.!! HA HA

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Looks like the same red dirt of Sedona:grin:
I was pleasantly surprised to find several good veins of this clay up on the hill behind the dam site.

It sets up like concrete and should provide a good base for several more projects.

If we didn't need the pasture land I'd open a pit and sell this stuff........whoever coined the phrase "dirt cheap" never had to buy any.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
We got after it again today.....brought in another dump truck but the driver got called in to his day job so we are still moving one load at a time.

The dam dump truck is bringing the dam dirt down from the hill and the dam dozer is spreading it on the dam. We have another two feet to go until we top it off.

We had to extend the lower pipe ten feet to allow for the width of the dam.....right now the base is about 30 feet wide. This pipe will be connected to the stand pipe which will allow excess water to flow through at normal pond level. When it rains there will be a concrete spillway at one end to allow the water to bypass the top of the dam. It will also have a drain valve in case the pond needs to be emptied for maintenence.

There will be a pipe located two feet from the top of the dam to allow the water to be channeled into a future water wheel project. The top of the dam should be around ten feet wide when finished and should be capable of carrying large vehicles.

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
And the Imperial First Sergeant said to him, "I will set you high in my artillery. You are the man I want." Then he saw an army driving into the mountains, an army whose time had come at last. And riding in a giant tanker, he saw himself, and knew that the truck was filled with Napalm. Behind him, in a long column, were trucks loaded with bombs, mines, plastic explosive, flame throwers, flares, heat seeking missiles, grenades, machine guns and rocket launchers. The dance of death was about to begin, and already the strings of the fiddles and guitars were smoking and the stench of brimstone and cordite filled the air.

Have you been poking around the CAMO Compound again??

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Well.....I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.....or in this case at the end of the dam.

We capped it today and all that is left is to add a few inches of top soil to the face and put some Winter Rye seed on it to stave off erosion and do the plumbing.

The deepest point will be around 14-16 feet......we are planning to toss a couple of huge stumps in the deepest part so the fish will have a place to hole up.

Here are a few more pics from the dam project.

Attachments

Csm Davis

****...That is some really red dirt (clay). I've never seen it that color.!!! Good luck on your project. Oh, I think you might be over loading the haul truck just a bit.!! HA HA
I would say you never spent any time in south Mississippi that's all we have down here , look up Red Bluff Mississippi.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks