• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working the pains off (something to read).

dmetalmiki

So yesterday the new re manufactured petrol; tank for the GMC M135 was delivered.
Some of the guys lifted it into position for me. ( I was not actually present at that moment ). As I am suffering a bad rotator cuff injury to my right shoulder,
Sleeping is impossibe in any position, Apperantly this injury decides to generate severe pain when Resting or ( Trying to) Sleep!.

So, When I came out to the workshop today I saw the fuel tank was lifted into position, But I hadn't the heart to tell the old guys (Who had struggled at great length to lift it into position). That the holdimg brackets for it were not bolted up tight to the chassis.
Well it will have to wait for another day...

NOPE!, I only walked past the truck twice before my ..d kicked in.
" I will just move it a bit", turned into Lifting it out and down,
Fitting 8 new nuts bolts and washers to the fuel tank supports,
Then, I 'popped! the tank back back up and into position'.
Well it is now fitted in place correctly and looks great ( pictures below).

Did my rotator cuff injury hurt?,, Yep, A lot.
But after 2 1/2 hours of crawling about under the truck as well as well as the take out and put back, the pain eased a whole lot. Pulling the bolts up tight after twisting around to awkward positions to insert them was not fun!. (Supposedly one handed?...). NO way. 'Twas BOTH.
It is now 9-30 at night and I am not experiencing pain as of yet.
Mins't Both before and after all that work I took.
NSN 100, Glucosamin sulphate, crondroitin, Bromalain, Cod liver oil, Ginko, Ginseng, Triple Boron, And a cup (You all (That know me ( Just know the 'size' of my "Cups"!.)), Cumin/Tumeric + Black Pepper.
OK, so I 'Rattled' for a while!). But, I had no pains, (Though I Most certainly did for a while).
HA! But, "what about tonight when you try to sleep?", I hear you cry.
I am NOT looking forward to that, But,..I will report tomorrow, Friday.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So yesterday the new re manufactured petrol; tank for the GMC M135 was delivered.
Some of the guys lifted it into position for me. ( I was not actually present at that moment ). As I am suffering a bad rotator cuff injury to my right shoulder,
Sleeping is impossibe in any position, Apperantly this injury decides to generate severe pain when Resting or ( Trying to) Sleep!.

So, When I came out to the workshop today I saw the fuel tank was lifted into position, But I hadn't the heart to tell the old guys (Who had struggled at great length to lift it into position). That the holdimg brackets for it were not bolted up tight to the chassis.

But after 2 1/2 hours of crawling about under the truck as well as well as the take out and put back, the pain eased a whole lot. Pulling the bolts up tight after twisting around to awkward positions to insert them was not fun!. (Supposedly one handed?...). NO way. 'Twas BOTH.
NSN 100, Glucosamin sulphate, crondroitin, Bromalain, Cod liver oil, Ginko, Ginseng, Triple Boron, And a cup (You all (That know me ( Just know the 'size' of my "Cups"!.)), Cumin/Tumeric + Black Pepper.
OK, so I 'Rattled' for a while!). But, I had no pains, (Though I Most certainly did for a while).
Well... It looks like a nice installation to me dmetalmiki . Not that I am an expert. Sometimes when you feel crummy, having a project to do can take your mind off the pain or frustration. Glad you got it done. Now you get to reward yourself with a drive through to country ;-)

Guyfang

Staff member

Man, you need to go easy. I worked up until the day I went for my OP. No one was happy with me. Its still not great. Been two years. I have put off the other side about as long as I can. Well, maybe another few weeks until the Corona blows over? I feel your pain. There is not enough beer to make it stop hurting. Plum schnapps? Yeah. But that only works at night.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can tell you first hand that it won’t heal itself, it will only get better with surgery (unfortunately). A couple of years ago I had the same injury and had surgery 5 months later. The surgery went great, 3 months of physical therapy and the surgically-repaired shoulder feels better than the other and better than ever. Follow the physical therapy instructions very closely and you should have a great recovery.

dmetalmiki

HA! you'ze all absolutely cor- rect!.
So, here's the report, as to the nights sleep.
NO CHANCE! Terrible pains, so I'm up to the standing position most all of the night, So that 'theory' did NOT work.
But today, got to enjoy the look of the finished project, and will rest a whole lot more.
Today Fixed the the hydraulic head on ricks truck with four assistants, That seems the way to go.
Looks like I am heading for an operation, BUT, I will not have that procceedure as long as people are going into hosoptital, and do Not come out, due to being infected with the coro virus.
Take very good care folks, And meb'e just meb'e joe will steer you all throgh this terrible phase.

dmetalmiki

After a days careful work, I am about to follow the advice of Guyfang and indulge in a beer, Or two, Or ...three..

Oh and the truck was a once in a life time snip, from Poland, 8500 euros, and £7,500 worth 9of new old stock spares in the bed!..
and under the passenger seat, Two bottle of vodka, Biscuits, bread, meat, sausage, sweets, chocolates, sauces, mints, salad cream, crisps...Amazing.

JD4044M

Count your blessings it could be way worse. For me working on my truck is just a few min at a time and not even every day. Some days my mind says lets go out to the shop, then on the way out there my body says go back to your chair and try later??? I have stage 3 emphysema, stage 3 kidney failure, and now fluid in my abdomen which could be cancer caused? I look pregnant right now??? Waiting on my appointment to get a CT and Ultra Sound. They already sorta fixed my Pancreas which could be the water problem cause their going to look for? Back is shot so is the neck this is what I deal with every day. I plowed some snow just now and back into my chair for 4-8 hours. No alcohol probley kill me and I am now rejecting a lot of antibiotics and have a Eppie Pen just in case. Pain Pills are a no-no so I just deal with it and get pissed instead! I am 69 years old on Oxygen at night so I can sleep.

Just plain wore out but not giving up yet, one reason I bought the M1078 but hoping nothing bad goes wrong or it will be sold at a loss. I can't do anything that takes strength and the parts are BIG! Got help to put the tires off and on it a few days ago. All this stuff going on at once works on you mentally. Can't even use drugs to go into another world and they are legal in Washington State. I always wonder what is next for me to deal with? What keeps me going is seeing other poor people at the doctors way worse then me and younger! So I still count my blessings knowing it could get worse real fast!

Guyfang

Staff member
HA! you'ze all absolutely cor- rect!.
So, here's the report, as to the nights sleep.
NO CHANCE! Terrible pains, so I'm up to the standing position most all of the night, So that 'theory' did NOT work.
But today, got to enjoy the look of the finished project, and will rest a whole lot more.
Today Fixed the the hydraulic head on ricks truck with four assistants, That seems the way to go.
Looks like I am heading for an operation, BUT, I will not have that procceedure as long as people are going into hosoptital, and do Not come out, due to being infected with the coro virus.
Take very good care folks, And meb'e just meb'e joe will steer you all throgh this terrible phase.
In 1974, I had a "little" accident. Passed through a car windshield going half way out, and then passing through what was left of the windshield going back in. I kinda looked like the Mummy. Only he didn't have glasses. I was supposed to stay in bed for 7 weeks. My partner and I worked 24 hour shifts, back to back. Just us two, no other gen mechs. I was in no condition to work, so my partner, Fat Mac, went to the missile site, and worked the better part of 4-5 days, more or less without sleep. Midday on the 5th day, he fell over and they could not wake him. I was laying in bed when the Company 1st SGT walked in. He said to me, (I will never forget this) "Get up as*hole, your going to work"! Top knew me better then I did. I got up with his and another guys help. Both arms bandaged and taped straight. Huge bandage around my neck. Steel cup on my right hand. My only question was, "How?". He pointed at two worthless junkie's and said, "These two Yard Birds are your arms". And so it went for the next almost 3 months. I walked around looking like a scarecrow, telling these two what to do. I could not even unzip my pants to pee. Let alone take a dump. But it worked. As long as you got good helpers.

dmetalmiki

OHH heck, Now these stories 'proper' put me in my place, And have given me a whole new insight. (And realization.). Of my plight.
I am so sorry is is at the expense of others suffering more than I.

So, today I went out to fix Riks deuce with the leaky hydraulic head seals. never mind the pains.

So here is the story, (To 'cheer' ' Youze all up).
Last week I changed the o rings in the hydraulic Head.
The truck drove fine, AND filled the sump with fuel!.
With tinygpw (My "Hands") We changed the 3 o rings AGAIN.!
The truck drove fine and still leaked.
We find out the firm supplying the o rings is selling us rubber o rings not Vitron!. ( But charging Vitron prices).
The proper o rings were installed.
The fuel density compensator developed a fault. We bypassed it.
The flame heater leaked. We removed it.
We tried to start the truck. NOTHING! (fired on ONE cylinder).
Removed the Hydraulic head for the fifth time.
WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT?
The small GEAR that drives the big gear for the quill Had SNAPPED OFF!!!
We have today removed the injection Pump.
Tomorrow we will rebuild it.
BUT..when fitted and we try to start the truck for the umpteenth time I expect a 'wheel to falloff'
We will fix that and,
The gearbox will fall off,
We will fix that and,
the headlights will fall out.
I mean..things mechanical.....'what are they like?'.
As an aside , Anyone have a clue as to why the Small driving gear, which drives the quill large gear (The little one) one just snapped off?
The truck drove to where it stands now no problem. (Before the problems and during).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks