• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

World War II Trailer

CFin

I recently acquired a World War II trailer. I am trying to figure out if it is 1) worth restoring; 2) where in the world can I get new rims and tires from? Any help is appreciated! I have searched all over and no luck on the tire/rim thing!

Attachments

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a standard Budd wheel used on WWII Dodge and M37's among others . What size is the rim and tire ? no info on the trailer any info plates on it ? BTW ,it's worth what somebody is willing to pay for it , hard to price out from a photo .

CFin

It says 8.25 x 18 10 ply. No info at all! I found it sitting in a ladies yard and traded some stuff for it! That's my saying in life too! It's only worth what someone will pay! ha I actually really love this thing and would love to be able to restore it if I can find the parts.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure that is an original military trailer? Perhaps someone built another body on a military frame. Or perhaps the only military part on it are the axles and wheels. I've never seen a mil trailer like that one before.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A deuce rim might fit , 18" rim size is a puzzle , if you check the rim up close there may be some info on it , should at least have a date . How's the interior ? it would be cool at a show being towed by a CCKW !

WW2Chevy

Your profile leaves a lot to the imagination regarding your location. :D
Did you pick this one up in southern Illinois? If not, I saw one very similar to this one listed recently. I believe I've heard it described as a photography trailer for the signal corps.

CFin

You are correct it is that one! I dug it out of the ladies woods. Good times! I never heard of the signal corps but she claimed it was a Photography trailer. She actually got it confirmed by the WWII museum and I have sent it a few places too and they say it is a WWII trailer. So that leaves me hunting for parts.

CFin

5 on 5 I believe from what I quickly measured before. I will recheck tonight. 1 1/2 lugs. When I originally committed to it I thought I was going to be able to slap some trailer tires on it and go! I was sure wrong!

CFin

Yes that first one is EXACTLY mine! It has the tube slots for those bar things! I was wondering what went on it! Too great! Thank you very much for sharing!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Apparently, there were road tires made in that weird 18-inch wheel size. The DUKWs used 11.00x18 NDTs in WWII, but that 8.75x18 is kinda weird. Might have to upgrade to 20-inch rims in order to use more common tires.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If he up grades to a deuce rim with a set of NDT's , they might fit , i am not sure about the tire clearance . I wonder if a set of M37 tires and wheels would fit with out to much problem . I think it's cool , even had electric brakes . Man you could make that a "man cave" LOL ! Is it tin on the outside or stainless steel ? bob k

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to call Wallace Wade Vintage Tires. Website shows a 7.00-18 Specialty Tire of America tire in 8 ply, maybe they can source the exact tire.
Thanks for posting, finds like this are what keeps me coming back to this website day after day. Please post pics of the interior. Of course if you decide to part with it, PM me.