• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Worried about these new glow plugs

dragon1124

Hello all, Just trying to get some info and input from some cucv owners. I recently ordered a set of 8 "new" glow plugs from ebay, they are the command components glow plugs, has anyone ordered from there?? The reason I ask, this might deter you, but the reason I ask is that these are listed as "new" glow plugs, and are supposed to glow 2x as hot as oem.

I am still waiting for an explanation on this from the seller. I received these glow plugs in the mail today, and even though they are "new", they were not individually boxed, like they would be if I went to o'reilly and bought the 60s. These glow plugs were just put in a ziplock bag and just shoved in a bubble wrap envelope. While they do appear to not be damaged, I am just a little worried about installing them lol. The seller did have 100% + feedback though.

Has anyone else ordered from command components and received glow plugs delivered as written above? If so have they worked? I'll update this after I find a mechanic in my area to install these. Thank you.:eek:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need a 10mm deep socket and ratchet to change them. Should take less than 5 minutes.

Why are you changing your glow plugs?

What brand are the Glow plugs you just bought?

as a general rule in life, high performance comes at a cost of reliability. twice as hot as oem? so they claim to hit 3000F? yeah right...

I recomend you use ACdelco 60g glow plugs.

Last edited:

dragon1124

They are listed as command components by wellman, ccg070, They were listed as direct replacements for cucvs with the narrow spade connector. Interchanges with: AC136, 5613939

I am changing the gps as 4/8 of mine are not registering any power. I've had problems with the gp system since day 2 of owning. Changed the relay and now am going for the plugs themselves. I figure that since I'm replacing everything else i should get the glow plugs done as well, cant hurt I dont think.

original

Sorry, it took me a while to find the email with my plugs part #. You have the same ones that I bought and installed. Like I said before, they work great and I haven't had any problem after 8 months.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do NOT recommend Wellman's. I know all about them, have used them and spoke with Chuck Gillis many times .

I suggest you resupply your GP relay with 12v(5 minute job) and use AC60G plugs. You'll need to replace your gp terminal ends.(or you could grind the new gp's a bit).

I am assuming when you say they don't register any power, you mean they have no Resistances bad), but they all have power. If half of them are not getting power, you have a wiring issue.

Have you followed the step by step troubleshooting procedure for the GP system(in the TM)?

dragon1124

Yes. should have clarified. the spade terminals connected to the wires register power, but the plugs are not. I made a typo also it's 3/8 not 4/8 bad. This multimeter test was performed at the place where I bought the m1009. Unfortunatly they wont help work on my truck lol. I will definatly consider using the 60s as well. I also plan to do the starter relay mod as well as the manual gp switchl. I have been studying the tms every day on my lunch break at work too. Most questions I have have been found in there.

67_C-30

I do NOT recommend Wellman's. I know all about them, have used them and spoke with Chuck Gillis many times .

I suggest you resupply your GP relay with 12v(5 minute job) and use AC60G plugs. You'll need to replace your gp terminal ends.(or you could grind the new gp's a bit).

I am assuming when you say they don't register any power, you mean they have no Resistances bad), but they all have power. If half of them are not getting power, you have a wiring issue.

Have you followed the step by step troubleshooting procedure for the GP system(in the TM)?
I agree. The Wellman's are bad about swelling. I run either Bosch Duraterms or 60G's in all my 6.2's.

1986Blazerk5

You need a 10mm deep socket and ratchet to change them. Should take less than 5 minutes.

Why are you changing your glow plugs?

What brand are the Glow plugs you just bought?

as a general rule in life, high performance comes at a cost of reliability. twice as hot as oem? so they claim to hit 3000F? yeah right...

I recomend you use ACdelco 60g glow plugs.
I agree I would NOT install glow plugs from a company I have never heard of. If they swell it will be a pain in the a** to remove. I also highly reccommend the ac delcos I have had them for 1 year know and not a single one has swollen or burnt out.

mistaken1

I just converted to a 12V glow plug feed and installed AC60G glow plugs (after removing my used twice and burnt out swellmans).

The truck started last Saturday with it being 18 degrees out and again today with it being 15 degrees out. Doghead offers sound advice.

Hasdrubal

I got my M1009 in 2004. Most of the AC13's or whatever was in there started to die. After removing one swollen plug with the special tool my friend ordered, I installed AC60G plugs. The first set lasted about 4 years of everyday continuous use. On my second set now. Definetely the way to go. They do need a longer burn time, especially when its freezing out, but as I have a manual push button its no problem.