• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Worrysome Starter Switch

SasquatchSanta

I've got a situation with my Deuce that is worrying the he!! out of me.

Every once in a while when I push the starter switch I can hear the starter engage but it doesn't rotate the engine. Usually the problem only happens once but there have been a couple of times that it's happened two times. Then, on the third try, the engine has rotated and fired.

I have cleaned and tightened wireing all through the starter circuit including the battery posts, cables, etc. I thought I had the problem fixes (though I know not how/why) until yesterday when I hit the switch and it happened again. The second time I hit the switch she fired right up. Yesterday, when it happened, I had drove about 20 miles and had shut down for about 30 minutes.

I don't "think" it's a solanoid because I can hear the starter engaging? The batteries seem to be hot and the starter is new.

One thing that "might" be causing a problem is that before starting I run the pre-lube pump for about 20 to 30 seconds. While I'm running the pre-lube pump the volt gauge registers in the yellow but as soon as the engine starts the needle goes to just below where it is suppose to be (in the green) for a short while then back up on the mark after running for a short time. I should note that I always shut off the pre-lube pump before pushing the starter button.

I'm afraid one of these days I'm going to push the starter button for the second, third, and forth time and it still isn't going to rotate/start.

Has anyone had similar problems?

scooter01922

Are you gettting that dreaded loud click letting you know its energised but not rotating, or is the starter rotating normally but not physically engaging the flywheel?? If its the latter i bet the bendix is just gummed up, pull the starter, clean it out and toss a little bit of lube on the bendix assy. If it were to fail on me and i needed it to engage i would grab the nearest tool with some weight to it a give the starter housing a few good whacks, obviously not so hard as to damage anything but that will usually free it up temporarily. Personally i would be more worried of the starter staying in the engaged position, they can get sticky both ways when its working like you say it is.

devilman96

Ive had this problem more than once... Turned out to be water leaking in past the nose cone rusting the shaft where the bendix rides forward... It would allow the starter motor to spin, but would not allow the bendix to move forward!

My starter had a hole in it from the nose cone being machined out of spec durring production that was causing the water inlet issues.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ernie, the sequence of events is as follows:
1) start button pushed.
2) starter relay energized.
3) solenoid "pull-in" coil energized, moving the pinion gear towards the flywheel. The pull-in coil is grounded via the motor windings, so it turns the motor to help mesh the gears.
When the pinion gear is fully forward, then the contact closes, applying full power to the motor. The pull-in coil is shorted by the contact, but the second winding within the solenoid, "holding coil", holds it in until starter button is released.

If the gears don't mesh, worn teeth, perhaps, then you'll hear the dreaded grinding sound.
If there is a poor electrical connection or poorly maintained batteries, there may be enough power to move the pinion gear, but not to turn the motor.

Check all connections on the starter and solenoid.

About waterproofness:
The TM calls for a waterproof test, 6 psi for 1 minute for the starter motor itself, but not the cone part, which should be sealed with a gasket, but may be exposed to water if the bellhousing plug is not installed during fording.

EZFEED

Also when you get done be sure to coat everything with a good amount of dielectric grease to seal stuff out. I dont' know what kind of humidity you have where you are but here in LA I coat everything electrical with this. Did my whole pickup trucks electrical connections when it was new, etc. Just a little moisture leaking past seals will cause a fuzzy switch like this.

SasquatchSanta

Thanks for all the input everyone.

The members on this site are a real asset! :D

I felt kind of bad for not getting back (thanking everybody) immediately but winter is coming and I've been taking boats out of the water.

As bad as I hate to, I'm going to drop the starter before the weather turns cold.

Much obliged.

chicklin

Old post, I know, but whatever happened with this? I have the exact same problem. Every once in a while, the starter will spin but not engage the flywheel. I assume the Bendix gear is not kicking out. I'm guessing weaker batteries is the culprit, but I'm wondering if I need to pull it off and see if that slider shaft needs cleaned.