• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Worst Trip Ever

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And here I thought I was paranoid for always loading the tow bar when I venture farther than maybe 50km from home!! You certainly showed some dogged perserverance on that trip. Lesser men would have set the truck on fire and walked away.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
1. Whatever you do, don't buy any lottery tickets.

2. That is the kind of trip that can lead a person to sell everything. I applaud your resolve.

fireball

Did you know that 6 out 7 dwarfs will refuse to travel with you again. Sorry to hear about your trial and tribulations. But it is people like you, that handle everything that comes your way, that inspires the rest of us to move forward.

dmetalmiki

Snap

Holeeee moleeee.......I sure feel for yoy..I honestly thought my trip (nightmare journey. see my posts) was bad But that pales into insigifnance after reading your mission. The only difference as well, you in the heat, I was in winds rain and cold.
You deserve a medal for your dilligence perseverence and committment. (looks for medal in box)....And by the way wish your 6 year old boy a very happy bithday from "blighty" and May you feel more than rewarded if he can be of assistance in the "project" to restore the vehicle to former full working order..

Attachments

Average Joe

When You Thought it Was Safe to Go Back to AZ

First off, thanks to everyone who wrote to offer help or express sympathy. Unfortunately, the saga continues: I returned to Colorado briefly to get my affairs back in order. On Feb 21st I left bright and early to fly back to Arizona and recover my much abused Deuce. A quarter mile out of the driveway, the bracket that holds the distributor in my Cherokee's 4.0 broke off and she refused to move further. Foolishly undaunted, I called both a taxi and a tow truck and proceeded to the airport. I boarded the plane with seconds to spare, and the aircraft somehow failed to crash. I would later regret this fact. The new turbo arrived ahead of me along with a muffler (might as well upgrade right?). By Wednesday, 26 FEB, the turbo and muffler was installed, the Deuce cranked right up - and ran like s$&@. Sounded like she wasn't firing on all cylinders. So, I pulled the front valve cover and behold, the replaced rocker arm was out of adjustment. Easy fix, right? Re-spaced the rocker on the lifting rod, replaced the valve cover, and voila! She ran like s$&@. Must be a problem under the other value cover. There was, two bent lifter rods on the #5 cylinder. End scene. The next day, I discussed the bent lifters with the other mechanics in the garage. The consensus was that the valves must be bent or damaged - for the third time this trip, off with the rear cylinder head! Now I've met smarter men, but even I know that the top of the piston shouldn't be covered in coolant. Or look like the bottom of the valve. Or not move when the crankshaft turns. Must have overheated, hydro locked, and/or thrown a rod. Time to order a piston rebuild kit and wait for the parts to arrive. The scheduled arrival date was March 6th. Yesterday, the 5th, we dropped the pan to inspect bearings and pull the destroyed piston. Once drained, the pan contained enough metal bits to yield an erector set. Not good. . . But we knew the piston was wrecked right? The bearings were in good shape. The piston head came right out, along with the upper third of the cylinder sleeve. Good news, she didn't throw a rod. Bad news, the wrist pin snapped, demolished the piston sleeve, and proceeded to gouge the block until it wore through the cylinder wall. Sad face minus. I'll be shipping a deuce and dolley set from Arizona to Colorado. Anyone with a spare engine block, please PM me!-Joe

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't bother with a block, just get a running motor and swap it in.

And...good luck.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Average Joe, your willingness to move forward under undue stress and mechanical failure is a testament to your "can do" mentality. I, would fall short, I fear. I hope sometime soon you are able to actually "enjoy" your truck and all that goes with it. I think you have earned that, to say the least. You are an inspiration to me and probably many others. THANKS for sharing.

God bless,
Tony

There have been days when I wanted to roll my truck off a cliff because of a broken brake line, inoperable fuel pump and non-charging generator....

Then I read this and think.... wow

Even when my engine blew up I was only a few miles from home, I was able to drive it to work and leave it in a gated lot. I cannot imagine having so many things happen to you in unfamiliar territory so far from home.

If it had been me, I would have let my truck become a permanent fixture of the Mojave landscape. A true testament to the sheer amount of patience you must have.

Hope your luck improves soon! :cool: -GM

Jeepsinker

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,...

After reading this I am speechless!

I sir, salute you!

Never let anything beat you.
And I hope that is all the bad luck you shall see for the rest of your life!

Aussie.

Kloakndagr

I just finished reading all your misfortune...that's the kinda stress I don't need anymore. You sir, I'd want in my corner when my backs up against the wall. Inspiring to say the least!