• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Worthwhile to rebuild starter?

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a MEP-005A generator that I just took the starter out of because it wouldn't engage and replaced it with a functioning one. Is it worthwhile to have the old one rebuilt? Does it crossfit with anything else? I had a quote of around $150 to rebuild it and I just bought a NOS one for $110 shipped.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Rebuild kits, parts are out there. I am sure that parts cross reference with other units. Do some screen work and cross reference. If you can rebuild yourself you can save labor cost. Is it worth having a spare? Sure, and even if you do not yourself use the unit you can always sell and recoup some of or all the cash.

So to answer your Question, a little effort saved 40 bucks. Next time have the rebuild parts on hand.

Guyfang

Staff member
This starter fits a number of things, not just the 004 & 005 gen sets. Right off hand I seem to remember at least 3 types of R/T forklifts, several compressors and a trailer mounted lube unit. The starter is one of the parts I would have on hand, if I owned that gen set. Rebuild it.

Bmxenbrett

$150 to rebuild vs $110 for a new one? Not worth rebuilding. But i wouldnt throw away the old one.

What actualy happen to the old one? Just brushes?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The $150 figure I can assume is for someone else to do the work?

It shouldn't cost anywhere near that to replace brushes and a bendix yourself.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, lets try again!

I TOTALLY relate to that! :)

I do recommend having some spare wear parts on hand so you can get something going in a pinch. A set of brushes and a bendix would be at the top of that list. Obviously having a complete starter on hand is best if you have the space and resources to keep it.

csheath

I barely had the time to put in a new starter, I don't have the time to do it myself.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
:idea:If you are concerned about having a spare and your source has another NOS starter you should buy and shelf it.:idea: