• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Would a 900 series 6x6 be suitable for the Ice Roads?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moderators, if this is better suited to another forum, feel free to move. I just want to hear from those that actually drive 900 series trucks.

I am an avid Ice Road Trucker follower and have been wondering for a while whether these low(er) speed, rough road applications would make a 900 series 6x6 tractor a superior choice over a regular OTR tractor.

I am not talking driver comfort and cab winterisation, that is another debate, but I am wondering about the topographically challenging runs on the Dalton highway for example, where the company wants to see an "average" speed not exceeding the low 40mph range and where having a driven front axle could make a lot of difference between getting stuck - or not. The iron suspension might be a challenge, epecially in the deep cold.

I have no idea how an M931 or perhaps an M916 would perform under those conditions.

But - would the design not be much better for the sometimes truly rough road conditions the regular OTR trucks have to go through?

seano11

So what part of north canada are you ? If your anywheres near me your more then welcome to come for a spin to fort chip in my 923a2 or the 813

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello! I am "North" only relative to the majority of US forum members!
If ever I make it up from Ontario to "Edmonton, the Gateway to Fort McMurray" I'd love to take you up on your offer!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
In my opinion (and I have very little experience on ice) the HEMMT tractor would be a better choice if there were a more user friendly cab on it. The V8 Detriot might be an issue due to high compression....using the Jake Brake on slick surfaces can cause the rear ends to lock up if you let off the throttle too fast, putting the truck and trailer into a skid. Even with eight wheel drive there might still be a need to "chain up" in some situations.

I would like to see an episode where someone custom built a truck for the ice roads.

seano11

If I could get my hands on a hemmt Id give it a try. Locking up on ice isn't a big issue as long As you have lots of weight on what's a hemmt usually go for ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks