• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

would anyone want to exchange turbos?

painkiller

Yeah ive got a d turbo in good condition on my m35 the engine is a 1c but the turbo is not i would like to get the c turbo because i love that whistle. so if anyone is willing to trade a c/whistler for a good working D turbo please contact me, or if anyone knows where i can get one like saturn, or if memphis might have them but i would rather exchange than pay for one up front :)

Gamagoat1

What's the diff. in turbos?
I'd like my M35a2 to whistle but my D turbo doesn't. What does the whistler do that the D doesn't? Can they be swapped?

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We find the whistler turbos build power quicker at lower RPM's. Less "turbo lag". They also build more boost than the regular turbo. The snail on the exhaust side is different, driving the turbo faster to give the above benefits.
Regards Marti

jwaller

Gamagoat1 said:
Can these turbos be used in place of the D model with out engine modification or damage?
yes direct swap. I think the D will make a few extra hp but I dont think it's noticeable.

marksgarage2

My deuce came with a D turbo, but I also wanted the whistle. I posted the same thing here and ended up trading turbos with rdixiemiller. He wanted a D turbo. Now we are both happy. On the performance end the C turbo does have a litte more bottom end power and seems to spool up faster. On a side note we never met, but we trusted each other enough to do this. Nice to be on a forum with people you can trust.

Gamagoat1

Did you have to make any engine fuel or timing changes?
I agree, this site is great. I've read more than I thought existed about 5 tons and have talked to some great people.

marksgarage2

Nope. All I did was swap them out with new gaskets from Memphis. Very easy swap. Been about a year now and still love the C turbo sound.Make sure you drill the manifold for a piro gauge while the turbo is off. You will be glad you did!

Gamagoat1

I'll have a D to trade as soon a I find a whistler.

I just looked at mine, How do I tell which turbo I have, exactly?
The engine is a LDS 465 1D. I don't see any numbers on the turbo assembly.

24-VOLTS

I BELIVE THAT I HAVE A C TURBO THAT WOULD BE WILLING TO EXCHANGE FOR. I NEED TO PULL IT OFF OF THE ENGINE THAT I HAVE AND CHECK IT OUT.
LET ME KNOW ~
PHILL

FreightTrain

Banned
The C Turbo has a smaller exhaust housing.Both the exhaust and Intake housings are about teh same size.The D has a HUGE exhaust housing.Plus I think the C has a V-band holding one housing on while the D is bolt together.

FreightTrain

Banned
Just to add to that.There was a 3rd turbo for the Multifuel.It was used on a 427 engine.It has a tiny exhaust side and what looks like a pumpkin on the intake side.Sucker is huge on the intake side.There is one on Ebay but I don't know if it would work on a 465 or if it even has a "Sound" to it .