• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Would you pay $16,000 for a M246A2?

area52

Long story before to explain why I ask this:

A couple of years ago, I found an old M246 tractor wrecker (gasser) in a field close to where I live. It sparked my interest in the wreckers so I started doing a little research into the tractor wreckers.

I got the idea of starting a side business of vehicle recovery and crane service not towing, with the M246, looked at all the costs to get it in running shape and everything needed to start the business. I recently bought a M54A2 w/w with the intent of swapping the engine,hardtop,winch and other needed parts over to the M246( which I have not bought yet).

To pull all of this off, I have yet to : build my shop, convince the old guy to sell me the M246, get the M54A2 running, pull the M246 home and begin the long process of swapping and fixing.

SOOOO.... As I was thinking and planning, it looks like at least a year before I could get all of this done and the business started. I am impatient at times so I found a place that has a wrecker and can fix one up the way I want it.

It would be a multi-fuel with all new hoses,belts, brakes, paint, hardtop, and everything in working order with 14R20 tires ( on the stock lock ring wheels although). He quoted me right around $16,000 total.

It would give me a large "piece of mind" since it would be less likely to break down than if I tried to do everything myself, but it would cost quite a bit more also.

What do you think? Also, the wife is on board with this idea what ever way I go,so thats a plus.

Uglyranger

In Memorial
In Memorial
Go for it!
Short story: In 1956 a buddy of mine bought a pair of boots for $25 when you could still buy a new pair of Cochrans for $12.87. I asked him why, and he said "because I wanted THAT pair of boots." We were making $77 a month.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know hiw fixed you are on the multifuel but you might could find an M819 with the Cummins for a comparable price. Roadspeed in an M246A2 will be somewhat slow even empty. If thats what you want though, go for it. Hour wise, the 246 repower and rehab may exceed the asking price of the completed truck.

area52

Recovry4x4 said:
I don't know hiw fixed you are on the multifuel but you might could find an M819 with the Cummins for a comparable price. Roadspeed in an M246A2 will be somewhat slow even empty. If thats what you want though, go for it. Hour wise, the 246 repower and rehab may exceed the asking price of the completed truck.
An M819 would be the top choice if I could find one close and very good shape, but I have not found one in either category.

this one would be less than a days ride away, and in very good shape. Top speed is not a big factor as it would be used on country roads where the max speed here is 55 MPH.

Just tossing out ideas to see what anyone else has to say.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i to think that is a super good price if it had all the bells like you say. nice tires too. but.... look around for that m819 you will get much better fuel milage and pulling power out of that bigger engine. just my 2 cents. but if you cant wait or cant find one them you could use that multi till you make enought dough to buy the newer truck. either way its a no lose situation . i have way more than your quoted price in my m816 but i plan on keeping it till the fat lady sings TIm

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I say if that is the truck you want and it will be fixed up real nice for you, then go for it. If your business does well, then you could always get an 819 later on if you needed more power and/or road speed. Keep us posted and yes, you must post pics of the truck when you get it!

msgjd

Not to spoil the romance of it, but mil wreckers have slow hydraulics and often recovery time is of the essence on busy roadways.... What about your insurance costs???? I have a wrecker and have been there... done that.... The wrecker works only on off-road tasks nowadays.

area52

msgjd said:
Not to spoil the romance of it, but mil wreckers have slow hydraulics and often recovery time is of the essence on busy roadways.... What about your insurance costs???? I have a wrecker and have been there... done that.... The wrecker works only on off-road tasks nowadays.
Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate some info from someone who has been there and done that.

One reason I felt that this might work is that there is ALOT of oil field work around here and the roads are pretty bad in the winter time so I know there is some demand for off-road recovery in that respect.

I was gonna mainly use the crane for other than recovery stuff anyway hopefully, like setting timbers/walls and whatnot.

M1075

If you are going to do mostly vehicle recovery, then I would get a common wrecker such as M543 or M816 to get the rear winch. If you are going to do mostly crane, work the M246 or M819 is better suited due to additional reach.

No.2Diesel

Is a gasser equipped truck that would require a costly repower worth $16K to you? Also in the big scheme of things, a truck with either an 18' (816) or 26' (819) boom length does not carry the capabilities of modern commercial cranes.

Try this: :wink:

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=1378701&guid=30135497C8A34146A6D5453ADBDD75C5

What would be cool.....is if you took an M813 or a M821 (standard or xtra long wheelbase 5ton chassis) and plopped on a much larger crane with its own power source and powered outriggers.....Kind of like the mythical MC-1. Do a clone of it and make it look Mil. It would look cool and be a fully functioning 6x6 crane w/winch.

Attachments

area52

M1075 - Yea, I have been tossing that idea around also, maybe both kinds of trucks!!?! If only money grew on tress.

No.2Diesel - I was trying to walk to the fine line between function and look by staying with the military trucks that are available to me. I like that idea though. I was not planning on trying to compete with the big boy cranes, just the small stuff, like propane tanks.

Elwenil

I agree that the rear winch of a M816 is probabaly a good idea if recovery is going to be your focus. For the most part, this will just be dragging things back up on the highway. The main issue is that insurance and competing with other companies that can not only recover, but also tow. As for the crane boom, keep in mind that it's pretty easy to add an extension to the boom to get more reach at the cost of lift capacity. I believe Bjorn has done this with his knuckle boom when setting roof trusses, if I remember correctly. If you are looking for an excuse to own a military vehicle and make some sort of profit with it on the off days, it can be done, but I don't think you are going to make a living with one.

area52

Elwenil said:
I agree that the rear winch of a M816 is probabaly a good idea if recovery is going to be your focus. For the most part, this will just be dragging things back up on the highway. The main issue is that insurance and competing with other companies that can not only recover, but also tow. As for the crane boom, keep in mind that it's pretty easy to add an extension to the boom to get more reach at the cost of lift capacity. I believe Bjorn has done this with his knuckle boom when setting roof trusses, if I remember correctly. If you are looking for an excuse to own a military vehicle and make some sort of profit with it on the off days, it can be done, but I don't think you are going to make a living with one.
I agree, not make a living but at least justify and offset the costs of having the big green machines.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, A52! I think Jacks in Tuscon has an MC-1 like No2 pointed out. No doubt a gasser but a dry truck that's as rare as hens teeth.

Hey msqjd, care to post some pics of the M108 for us deuce crane whores?

area52

Recovry4x4 said:
Hey, A52! I think Jacks in Tuscon has an MC-1 like No2 pointed out. No doubt a gasser but a dry truck that's as rare as hens teeth.

Kenny,

Its funny you mention Jacks, he is the one that gave me the quote for the M246A2 I started this thread about.

Maybe a MC-1(A2) or (A1) if I could find a Mack.

area52

Recovry4x4 said:

Kenny,

Its funny you mention Jacks, he is the one that gave me the quote for the M246A2 I started this thread about.

Maybe a MC-1(A2) or (A1) if I could find a Mack.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AREA: I suggest you stick with the stock tire size. Larger tires may look more cool and may give you a higher top road speed, but you will lose significant torque. This loss of power will be a severe detriment when trying to tow other trucks. Personally, I'd suggest keeping the 1100s on it and going with the Goodyear G177s. While I don't have the specs in front of me, I'd almost guarantee they can handle more weight than the NDTs and will also wear better. Anyway, that is my $.02. Good luck.

CGarbee

According to Goodyear:
G177 in 1100r20 has single max load of 7390lbs at 120psi and a dual max load of 6780lbs at 120psi.

According to Titan:
T-Hawk 373 NDT in 1100x20 has max load of 5920lbs at 85psi (not specified as single or dual).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks