• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Would you pull 5 ton with this setup??

INFChief

Looks well built! The only question I have pertains to binding. Tow bars have incline / decline flexibility at the truck clevises (knuckles) and the pintle hook in order to navigate road conditions that aren’t flat - roads that are like those found in places like Kansas or western Iowa. I only see that there’s vertical flex at the towed vehicle. If the towing vehicle goes up, over, and down a raised road or railroad bed crossing I can see where the tow bar will bind on the towing vehicle. Maybe I’m not seeing the pictures clearly though.

colesmotorsports

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep that was only part I did not like about it. I drive trucks so I watch ahead and pay attention to corners . Crazy the exhaust brake on the pickup works pretty good slowing down . Luck it is rolling flatland like you say . 150 mile trip I meet about 30 cars . Built it just to pull 4 trucks home . Then probably won't use it again. But crazy how stable it is at 50-65 . Just pay attention at corners.

BEASTMASTER

nobody else will tell you . so i will " ARE YOU OUT OF YOU'RE FREAKING MIND " if you gotta stop you" re going to kill you"re self or some innocent person out there , hire a darn wrecker !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see you have a compressor on the Dodge and a air hose ran to the towed vehicle. Hopefully the brakes were fully functional and you were not just using the air to release the spring brakes on the wrecker.

INFChief

OK; so yeah. Sketchy as heck and potentially life threatening. I prolly would have done it at one point in my life - and it would not have been the most wickedest thing I’d ever done. At this stage in my life I prefer not to put others at risk or risk possible damage to equipment. Yes. I’m O-fishally old now. Booooo.

charlesmann

If you can stop, using the pull vehicle and towed vehicle brake, sure. But only for a short (20 miles or less) distance and had no other choice at that specific time.
Iv pulled 34,400 lbs, 10,400 lbs over loaded with my 1tn dually. Was only going 4 miles and decided to take the chance. Was it right/legal, no, not by any means and couldnt stretch the law thin enough to be legal.
But like my old 1sg said, do what your pay check can afford

colesmotorsports

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So why isn't the 5 ton pulling the Dodge truck instead?... At least if anything worse case scenario is no insurance ticket or no registration.
Fuel tanks need need cleaning and all around TLC. They have been sitting for at least 10 years. I like getting everything up and running fixed up. The one I got had locks on the toolboxs . Cut them off and inside had all the wrecker tool , chains, ect . Was pretty dang cool.

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
A lot of us have done things just as sketchy and dangerous. Only plus side was that is was the before the time that everyone had cameras on their phones or we would have all been tiktok famous for getting a potential Darwin award.
Amateurs… Do it at night, 95% plus cell cameras can’t capture night video, Sunday nights are best as most are in bed ready for the work week and most weigh stations are closed. Which then you just send a scout up ahead if you know the route.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks