• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Would you pull 5 ton with this setup??

TacMac2012

I pulled a m920 with a m1009 once. Only had to move it about 1/4 mile, and we had someone in the m920 and an air compressor so he had brakes. We passed a state trooper, surprisingly he didn't do anything. The m920 pushed the m1009 all over the place, I would have been better off putting the m1009 behind the 920 and pushing it. It pushed the backend sideways but I was able to steer it back straight.

Basically, what you have pictured looks really nice and would work just fine----if you had brakes. If you could keep it under 5mph that wrecker truck will still push that truck all over the place if you have to make a turn or go down a hill. If you must do it, put air to the wrecker and have someone sit in it and steer it/work the brakes.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the towbar setup looks well-constructed and may take the load just fine, but I would question the strength of the gooseneck mounting on the dodge frame itself during an emergency stop or other sudden stop .. But then again, if you don't hit something bigger in front of you there will be no sudden stop if you have no braking assistance from that M936 wrecker :LOL:

However, I see the air line running to the wrecker. Hopefully you had someone in the wrecker to assist with braking, and was not just to release the brakes.

yeah i would do it and have done similar (without brakes on towed vehicle) when I had no option, but still would not like it .. I bet sharp cornering was a challenge

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
towed my "XM38A5" many times with an M880 with no issues, it never knew it was there. .. But the day eventually came when the 727 failed thus the old jeep had to tow the M880 back to the shop.. Let's talk about being pushed hard down every hill and yanked around when the 880 followed every parallel crack or ridge in the pavement and hit every bump !! Yee haw! ,, Never had to do that again ! 😖

Last edited:

Csm Davis

Fuel tanks need need cleaning and all around TLC. They have been sitting for at least 10 years. I like getting everything up and running fixed up. The one I got had locks on the toolboxs . Cut them off and inside had all the wrecker tool , chains, ect . Was pretty dang cool.
So I don't buy your reasoning for not using the wrecker to pull the Dodge or other 5 tons. The 936 has stainless steel tanks and almost never allows growth to occur, I cut up hundreds of 939 series trucks many with no fuel cap for years and only found 1 out of hundreds of tanks with bad fuel contamination. I have also fired up thousands of 939 series trucks that have sat longer than 10 years without much problem.
Not saying that I have not done similar but generally as last resort, after much effort to get it done better. I think you took the easy way out without regard for safety. If you only had one to move this way for just a few miles sure you might have a good excuse but several over hundreds of miles, no.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks