• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Would you replace these brake rotors?

GopherHill

I would rather turn what I got. That rotor is so thick and it’s solid. I don’t know where the eBay rotors are made but probably not here. You can get some really nice brake pads for the money you would save by turning them. I don’t like replacing things and I have been taking stuff in and having it rebuilt and put the same part back on.
The way parts quality is today, I would run what you have. That lip doesn't concern me as long as no heat checking or cracks.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have nor will I ever turn brake rotors, as long as they wear relatively smoothly why remove any more material?, as long as the meet the min thickness and is not scored go for it.
If they are scored then you generally have to remove too much material so in that case I just replace them.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pics are representative of all four wheels so if all I need to do is take it apart and apply brake grease that I already have a jar of, that would be awesome and save me around $600. I'll see if I can push the calipers in with some kind of contraption so I can apply grease without taking them off, but it might be difficult on the rears with the e-brake that needs to be turned and pushed.
On my rotors the center of the (domed) caliper piston is NOT solid. I learned this the hard way when using a C-clamp to compress them. They look terrible but work just fine. There is a special tool for compressing HMMWV Rotors apparently, which I do/did not have. If you decide not to buy it (and I wouldn't blame you) I recommend spending a few minutes' brain time on figuring out something to help support the compression tool on the outside edges of the piston, with care if yours are also cupped, not press on the center like other caliper pistons.
Bulldogger

Action

On my rotors the center of the (domed) caliper piston is NOT solid. I learned this the hard way when using a C-clamp to compress them. They look terrible but work just fine. There is a special tool for compressing HMMWV Rotors apparently, which I do/did not have. If you decide not to buy it (and I wouldn't blame you) I recommend spending a few minutes' brain time on figuring out something to help support the compression tool on the outside edges of the piston, with care if yours are also cupped, not press on the center like other caliper pistons.
Bulldogger
If the pistons go straight in, just place an old pad over the piston and use the c-clamp.