• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrangler VS BFG

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am trying to decide which tire to run on my HMMWV 12-bolt wheels. Has anyone had any experience with the BFG versus the Goodyear Wrangler?

cucvrus

I have run both BFG KM2 and Goodyear MTR Kevlar they are almost equal. I do like the Kevlar sidewall on the MTR's only because it says Kevlar. And everyone is always asking if they are bullet proof. But all in all I have the best traction and drivability out of the Goodyear MTR's. This is my unprofessional opinion. But snow plowing and off road use if I had to make the choice it would be the Goodyear's. Nothing wrong with the BFG's KM2. That is just a which one would you pick answer.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks everyone for your comments. My decision is whether to run Goodyear 37x12.5x16.5 HMMWV take-offs or go with new same-size BF Goodrich BAJA T/A like in the photos below. My questions are -

Which brand will provide the best traction?
Which brand will provide the best ride quality?
Which brand produces the least road noise?
Which brand is easier to balance?

I am not concerned about mileage because my M1028 will only be driven occasionally.

Attachments

RDUKW

Thanks everyone for your comments. My decision is whether to run Goodyear 37x12.5x16.5 HMMWV take-offs or go with new same-size BF Goodrich BAJA T/A like in the photos below. My questions are -

Which brand will provide the best traction?
Which brand will provide the best ride quality?
Which brand produces the least road noise?
Which brand is easier to balance?

I am not concerned about mileage because my M1028 will only be driven occasionally.
I have run both on my Hummer. I would hands down no questions asked run the BFG's. I literally could do circles around other hummers getting stuck with the good years. Also I have found the BFG's to be rounder and take 1/4 of the lead to balance them. The only thing the Goodyears had was they were a hair quieter on the road but they would knock your fillings out on the poor ride

Chaski

I run wranglers on my 12 bolts. They shed well in my opinion and are pretty quiet. As far as traction goes it seems to depend on the terrain. I run mine at 30 psi with 6 oz of composite balance beads. I should have used more beads. I can air them down more, but the pickup has a load often. The ride is good for 37's no steering wheel shake, but I do get vibration in the pickup around 65. I have no experience with other tires, but the wranglers are cheap and to be honest that is one of the reasons I run them. I have seen them mounted with up to 6 oz of wheel weights, if you want a setup that you can spin balance you might be better off with diffrent tires.2015-01-23 13.45.36.jpg

Last edited:

evldoer

Get the bfg Baja t/a in the E rated. I put these on after a set of the goodyears. Balance with 8 oz. of beads.I can run lower air pressure in these since they have heavier sidwwalls and the ride is much smoother. No road noise that I notice. $150 each new from Feltz Auto and Tire. Traction is comparable or better than the Goodyear.
When I need another set I will get the Baja t/a again.

Attachments

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
no matter the tire with the HMMWV rims I recommend centramatic balancers. They work.
Rich - I plan on getting a set of the Centromatics. I see the model is HMR-8, is this correct? Those mount snug up the back of the wheel with the balancing tube inward? Any contact issues with the brake caliper? No wait! I forgot I'm going to use 2" spacers.

llong66

richingalveston, I am guessing you use the centramatics, are your rims recentered or do you use spacers? Are they as simple as they advertise, just bolt them on and go? Do you know if they work equally well with recentered or wheels with spacers? Thanks!

Greg

CUCVLOVER

i would use the BFG's. I know they are not the same but my dad has been running BFG all terrain TA's for several years. They have done a great job. we pull trailers some around over 6500 lbs. almost every day of the week and they have never given us any trouble. they will dig even with just the side lugs. also if you look at almost every professional weight sled pulling truck the have BFG's all terrain TA's.

Those BFG's look like they should dig. where would you be getting them from?????

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i would use the BFG's. I know they are not the same but my dad has been running BFG all terrain TA's for several years. They have done a great job. we pull trailers some around over 6500 lbs. almost every day of the week and they have never given us any trouble. they will dig even with just the side lugs. also if you look at almost every professional weight sled pulling truck the have BFG's all terrain TA's.

Those BFG's look like they should dig. where would you be getting them from?????
I robbed the photos off pee-bay of a single wheel and tire for sale. I am still looking for new, never mounted tires. My decision is made, I want to run the BFGs. Does anybody know a good source?

richingalveston

I had re-centered hummer rims. yes the ring faces inward, on the rim side it is flat. With new pads it is very close. when ordering ask for a spacer just in case you need it. I did not. The spacer they will give you is 1/16 inch and would be all you need if any.
I did a rear disc conversion and they work on the back with no problem. They worked with the drums too.
They do not work on stock cucv rims. The inside of the rim is not flat.

I now have 16 inch gm Hutchinson bead locks and the same model centramatics work with these rims also.

If you run the spacers, you will have no problems.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you run the spacers, you will have no problems.[/QUOTE]

I do plan to run spacers, however I would prefer steel spacers instead of aluminum. Does anybody know a source for these?

Chaski

https://www.motorsport-tech.com

I'm really curious how the spacers turn out. Stripping the powder coating and CARC off wheels, re-centering them and coating them again is actually a pretty big project. It would be nice to just have the wheels be a bolt on, with no extra work needed. Can't wait to see how your M1008 turns out. There is also a guy out of Texas on eBay who is making custom steel spacers, but it would be about $700.

UPDATE... I removed the broken link.
Thanks,
Peter

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks