• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wrecker (816) hydraulic filter questions

bugei

does anyone know a part number for the hydraulic filter at the base of the tank? there is a pointer to the answer in some of the old s/s archives, alas, those are not available.

has anyone cleaned the filter? how?

lastly, is the lever on the side of the filter supposed to act as a bypass? is there a reference in the tm somewhere? i just put in a ball valve as insurance after an expensive fluid loss.

thanx
dan

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
According to -10, if the pointer (lever) is pointed up, the filter is clean, if pointed in the middle, the filter needs cleaning, if pointed down, the filter is bypassing.

According to the -20 13/30, it is easy to change the filter, it says to drain the tank, I thought there was a built in valve at the end of the canister that closes when the filter is pulled ????????

Last edited:

bugei

ron

thanx for the response, i somehow had decided that the "bypass" and the "built in valve" were the same thing, or related somehow.

i just lost all the fluid when the seal on the pump blew out, we were able to save most and put it in the fuel tank, but there was really nothing we could do. so i just put a 2" ball valve in following the filter and before the hose, just in case.

since the tank is empty, i figured i would replace the filter, but i can't find a number for it, or any description of how people have "cleaned it".

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
TM-20P---page 772/773
P/N-10921633---compleat filter unit
P/N-901422------filter kit--filter, seals, ect.
P/N-901403------filter

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
According to -10, if the pointer (lever) is pointed up, the filter is clean, if pointed in the middle, the filter needs cleaning, if pointed down, the filter is bypassing.

According to the -20 13/30, it is easy to change the filter, it says to drain the tank, I thought there was a built in valve at the end of the canister that closes when the filter is pulled ????????[/QUOTE]

Just to make this clear for those that need to know
In tm 9-2320-211-20, (543 but same hyd. as 816) Read page 2-218, par.2-296, "Hyd. system filter", it DOES state that there is a valve in the filter canister to shut down the flow of oil,

Last edited:

bugei

FOLLOW UP

i finally just opened up the filter housing to see what the filter looked like. since my tank was drained, there was only a little mess. the system did seem to have some kind of valve that would have stopped the flow once the filter had popped out, but...it would have been a huge mess getting there, taking off all 4 bolts, etc.

the filter is a metal shell with a metal screen inside it. mine was very clean, but i shot it super clean with brake cleaner. since it was all metal (no paper), etc. there seemed to be NO reason to replace it or even try. just clean it, and put it back. i ran this by a couple of heavy equipment guys and all concured without issue.

i put a gate valve on the hose so i can at least shut off the tank in the event of another seal failure in the pump. that would have saved me ALOT of money if i had a valve before.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The TM states that 2 to 3 gal. will escape on the filter change, also the TM says, pull & replace the filter QUICK to prevent oil loss

bugei

yah, QUICK!

like 4 friends each with an air wrench. :)

it looked like the valve would kick in when the filter popped forward which would mean all 4 bolts out

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks