• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wrecker 816 vs 936 whitch is better

area52

I have a question regarding the wreckers......Ive never seen one - only in pics....but from what I can see they appear to be rotating CRANE trucks .....Im not seeing any underlift or anything else to keep a towed vehicle - in tow-

all I can see is a crane hook -what am I missing?.....how do you keep the towed vehicle under control ?

Most of the time, the military towed trucks two ways:

One is using a "whiffle tree bar" which hooks to the bumper and using the crane picks the front of the truck off the ground, then a towbar is hooked to the front axle with axle clamps.

Two is just using the towbar to the front bumper and not using the crane at all.

there are quite a few threads on here of people towing with wreckers. Works good with military vehicles, not quite as good with civilian vehicles.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, they are rotating booms. Very usefull.

Not really the best "towtruck/wrecker", but very very versitile.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
ON the wreckers, the front tends to go lite on a heavy lift tow, I was real surprised/ happy when I found out that the 819 (tractor wrecker) didn't seem to go lite like the other wreckers

Jersey4x4

ok, since we are on the wrecker subject. I just replaced the gladhands on my M816 and noticed the front and rear are backwards. When towing another MV do the air lines cross from wrecker to towed vehicle? Same as safety Chains?

jrobinson5093

I have also wondered about how they actually tow. I figured it would be similer to my holmes 600 with a big truck bar, but in all the pictures I seen I never saw one on a 5 tonwrecker. I just dont see how it could move somthing that was disabled and would not roll.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The bad thing about lift towing with a TB, is you have TWO pivot POINTS, at the hook and the PENTEL, unfortunately these points are NOT close, during a sharp turn thay fight each other, putting a TREMENDOUS stress on the TB and ATTACHING points.
The pic below shows the TWEAKING that is caused by the different pivot points

The trick way to fix this is to turn the TB around, with a pivot second pivot at the lift hook

Attachments

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
no need for air lines, none working brakes, the 819 brakes was way more then enough to stop the whole mess, the 818 did NOT even KNOW it was there

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bind can be minimized by keeping the boom as high as possible. The idea is to have a long cable, so it can swing easier. Far from perfect, it but helps.

I plan to fab up or find a sling, eventually. Might even add an under lift, that is lifted by the hook(no hydraulics).

I better put the pipe down now...

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Way hook up air line, 1---when the deuce does not call for air line hookup, 2----the brakes are history, 3----truck has been sitting for many years, flat tires ect., 4---5 mile slow haul, 5--- truck is so light, that the 819 didn't even feel it back there, both starting/pulling and stopping

466Navastar

thanks for the pics - Ive been scratching my head wondering for a while now how towing was accomplished....the pics REALLY cleared that up.........only the govt would use a system that binds up like that....the engineers must have been on vacation when that was approved.

A simple heavy duty - crane lifted- underlift that swivels at the point the towed vehicle is secured to it would be SO much nicer

do the wreckers come with the tow bars and that gizmo that hooks to the towed vehicle for the crane hook?.....or are they usually gone from GL vehicles

at 36-38000# the M936 wreckers must not be able to get out of their own way - has anyone ever swapped in a Big Cam 400 from a M915 series and had any success with the rest of the drivetrain holding up ?

Lastly - what makes the M936 SO much heavier than the M923/925.....other than the obvious weight of the rotating crane ?......Ive heard that its double framed.....anything else more heavy duty?.....from pics its just kind of hard to believe the rotating crane weighs 15,000#

Last edited:

spicergear

The bad thing about lift towing with a TB, is you have TWO pivot POINTS, at the hook and the PENTEL, unfortunately these points are NOT close, during a sharp turn thay fight each other, putting a TREMENDOUS stress on the TB and ATTACHING points.
The pic below shows the TWEAKING that is caused by the different pivot points

The trick way to fix this is to turn the TB around, with a pivot second pivot at the lift hook

...kinda, ...sorta, looks like maybe the truck has the tandems on the curb? :mrgreen:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
...kinda, ...sorta, looks like maybe the truck has the tandems on the curb? :mrgreen:
kinda, ...sorta, looks like maybe -NOPE, NOT ON CURB, couldn't, a fence gate pole was there,,besides that would have been a VERY JUNIOR move, and if true , you would NOT post a pic of that JUNIOR move :beer:

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
thanks for the pics - Ive been scratching my head wondering for a while now how towing was accomplished....the pics REALLY cleared that up.........only the govt would use a system that binds up like that....the engineers must have been on vacation when that was approved.

A simple heavy duty - crane lifted- underlift that swivels at the point the towed vehicle is secured to it would be SO much nicer

do the wreckers come with the tow bars and that gizmo that hooks to the towed vehicle for the crane hook?.....or are they usually gone from GL vehicles

at 36-38000# the M936 wreckers must not be able to get out of their own way - has anyone ever swapped in a Big Cam 400 from a M915 series and had any success with the rest of the drivetrain holding up ?

Lastly - what makes the M936 SO much heavier than the M923/925.....other than the obvious weight of the rotating crane ?......Ive heard that its double framed.....anything else more heavy duty?.....from pics its just kind of hard to believe the rotating crane weighs 15,000#
The #36000 819 will do 65 on the tach, 60 easy just down from tack, the OM 1200s help,

Not only double/triple frame, the wrecker bed is a LOT heavier than a cargo bed, plus the walking beams alone are close to #600, then all the BII recovery gear, 300' of 3/4 cable weighs just a bit, a second fuel tank, a set of cutting tanks, weight adds up quick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks